Blind Listeneing & Sophias

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Michael++YY, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Michael++YY

Michael++YY Auditioning

Jun 29, 2003
    new to forum but despite the guffaws, I'll plow ahead. Basically, I would like to know:
    1. Are there any true "blind listening" rating mags out there? I suspect that my 30 yr old Lafayette speakers I bought for $30 apiece sound better than many of the $30,000 speakers out there, even when driven by the little 80w Eico solid state kit I built at the same time.
    2.Do I need a progressive scan TV to hook up to a progressive scan player? If I buy a Pioneer 47ai or a Sony
    ES DVP-NS999ES, will my Sony Wega kv-36fv1 (which does not accept progressive scan input) realize a better picture? Will it play at all? I may be confused, but I'm defintiely holding on to my money until I'm convinced there's good quality compatible gear out there. I don't want to upgrade one component only to find I have to upgrade everything else, too. I'm saving up for the next generation Musical Fidelity Tri=Vista hybrid multi-channel amp (there isn't one yet, but surely it's a matter of time?) and some Sophias, but in the meantime...
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999

I'm going to move your post over to the Speakers fourm where you will get more experienced opinions on speaker magazines.

Just keep in mind that tastes in speakers are like taste in beer/ice cream: what you like and what I like may be very different, but does not mean our speakers are 'better' than each others. (This opens the window for all the controversy).

To take advantage of the progressive-scan output of a DVD player, you need a HDTV. But most progressive-scan players also support good-old interlace. Since PS players are nearly as cheap as non-PS units, It would be a good investment if you were going to buy. But if you already have a DVD player you are happy with, you are not going to see much improvement with a PS player.

Hope this helps.
  3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jun 29, 2001
    There's not a rag out there nor a reviewer that would risk doing a review without knowing what the speaker was. There's just too much at stake. However, why don't you set your sights a little lower and check out some $500 speakers in your own home. Maybe you can work out a quasi-blind evaluation yourself. Not so easy though with speakers as room interactions play a part and all that.
  4. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Sep 30, 2001
    The technology in speaker building has progressed. Rather I
    should say there are technologies today that are available
    to just about any person that can let you model and design
    a good speaker that does not have to cost $30,000.00 so I
    am of the opinion that there are many, many great speakers.

For Bookshelf and Monitor sized speakers $300.00 to $900.00
    will get you a very good to very spectacular pair. As for
    Towers and Floorstanders $1000.00 to $3000.00 can again get
    you great to unbelieveable speakers.

You won't have to spend $30K to get a speaker that can and
    will compete with your Lafayette's. Just go out and listen,
    listen and then listen some more.. Bring them home if you
    can.. And decide on a speaker that fits what you require of