What's new

Blind Buys - how have you done? (1 Viewer)

FallGuy

Grip
Real Name
Ryan
Thought I'd kick off a new thread in between viewings of Veronica Mars and House S2 (didn't accomplish much at all Tuesday night after buying these!).

As it seems a lot of people here are prone to blind buy and to try out new things, I'm interested to know what you've discovered, both positively and negatively, from dropping a couple twenties out of curiosity.

I've blind bought a LOT of stuff over the last few years. I actually picked up the West Wing S1 on day of release without ever having seen an episode and it turned out to be one of my favourite shows of all time. And it's led me to Sports Night and now to anticipating the premiere of Aaron Sorkin's new show this fall.

I've also done well with Entourage, Boston Legal (really surprised by how much I like this one), Battlestar Galactica (in my attempts to get into Sci-Fi) and the Shield.

On the disappointment front - I just don't get the excitement surrounding Rescue Me. The funny scenes are usually too infantile and obvious from my point-of-view, and the core stories seem to repeat themselves - at least in tone and emotional charge. Plus there never seems to be a sense of forward momentum. I watched all of S1-2 and abandoned it.

Also, while I love Cheers and a couple of other shows from the 80's, I haven't yet tried Taxi. I'd love to be convinced if anyone cares to weigh in.

R

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I blind-bought the A-Team. I'll be getting S5 when it's released. I was surprised how much I like this one.

Voyage to the Bottom Of the Sea is another one that I hadn't seen before. I have both S1 volume's.

Your thread prompted me to look through my TV/DVD's and I was a little surprised that these are my only 2 blind-buy's. I did borrow Firefly from my nephew based on what I read here at HTF. I liked it but haven't added it to my collection.

I plan on trying out some recent things that I haven't seen at all, "Lost", "Buffy", "Charmed", "Alias", etc. I know they're popular, just haven't had time to look at the recent network series since I'm mainly a collector of 60's - mid-90's sets.

Taxi: I have the 1st 2 seasons. I'm still watching S1. I'd say that if you like sitcom's from that era, you'd like this one. A lot of excellent acting by a great cast in the series.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I don't often purchase TV "blind" (since they are pricey), but here's what I've purchased so far.

Blind Buys:

"Veronica Mars" S1
"Prison Break" S1
"Battlestar Galactica" S1

Each of those shows came on the recommendations of friends and general positive word of mouth.

Of the above, "Veronica Mars" was the best surprise. After watching, I couldn't believe that I hadn't seen the show before (or really even heard of it). It has quickly become one of my favorite shows.

To be fair, I'd seen the premiere of "Prison Break" and thought I'd enjoy it, but at the time I thought I'd simply wait for DVD to watch it. Throughout the season, friends kept telling me I'd like it and I'd need to watch it. If you haven't seen it, I'd definitely recommend it as a blind purchase. It is one of the new breed of shows that seems to be built specifically for DVD.

I liked "Battlestar Galactica," but didn't fall in love with it. I haven't purchased or watched any of the future seasons. Someday, if the price goes down, I might get caught up.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Interesting topic indeed. Most of my blind buys have been for British spy/drama series from the 1960s ("Danger Man", "Man in a Suitcase" and "The Saint"). I never came across these series growing up in spite of the ubiquitous spy mania of that time. Other shows made in the U.S. that I never viewed and purchased blindly are "Have Gun Will Travel", "Wanted: Dead or Alive", "Naked City" and "The Veil". As these were all produced between 1957-1963, I just knew they had to be good.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Firefly - found it to be interesting in a quirky, funny kind of way. Enjoyed it and was glad I picked it up.

Without A Trace - Wal-Mart $19.96 price and Anthony (James Wyler of Murder One) LaPaglia. One of the best recent series that I don't look at on TV. This has turned out to be very addictive.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I blind buy a lot of TV Series... and I must say... I been pretty lucky... so far I have enjoyed pretty much all of it... lets see I have blind bought...
  1. 24
  2. 4400
  3. Alias
  4. American Gothic
  5. Desperate Housewives
  6. Dinotopia: The Series (Haven't Watched this one yet though)
  7. Firefly
  8. Frasier
  9. Good Morning World
  10. Grey's Anatomy
  11. Kolchak: The Night Stalker
  12. Miracles
  13. The Night Stalker (Series Remake)
  14. Point Pleasant (Only watched 1 Ep. So far... but didn't care for it)
  15. Poltergeist: The Legacy
  16. S.W.A.T.
  17. Scrubs
  18. Superboy
  19. V (Haven't Watched this one yet though)
  20. Without a Trace

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I have blindly bought a few series over the past year or so.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Seasons 1-7 (I bought this after seeing just 1 random episode & knowing nothing about the show. It is now pretty much my favourite show. Best blind investment ever.)
Firefly: Complete Series (Amazing show! I can't believe it was canned... One of my all-time favourites now!)
Roswell: Seasons 1-3 (Only done up to season 1 disc 5, so far it is very good.)
Desperate Housewives: Season 1 (Season 1 was amazing. Will blind buy season 2.)
Angel: Seasons 1-5 (Blindly bought after Buffy & I liked it almost as much as the Buffster.)
Gilmore Girls: Seasons 1-5 (Watched up to season 2. Love it! This show is brilliant.)
Reba: Seasons 1-2 (Only a couple discs in to season 1 & I like it so far, but have other sets to watch first.)
Lost: Season 1 (I thought it was decent & will give season 2 a shot.)
The X-Files: Season 1 [reissue] (Watched the first 2 discs & have since lost interest.)
The Simple Life: Seasons 1-3 (My favourite reality series along with Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica.)
Charlie's Angels: Season 1 (Have not finished watching it yet, but so far so good.)
Sex And The City: Seasons 1-2 (Only watched part of season 1 & decided that the show was not for me. I got in to it in syndication though, so I will try watching again on DVD.)

My blind buying days are far from over. I have a lot of other shows I am considering blind-buying. (Listed from most important to least...)

Veronica Mars
Popular
Tru Calling
Farscape (Well, I have seen a lot now, so maybe not so much a blind-buy.)
Point Pleasant
Charmed
Alias
Supernatural
Ghost Whisperer
Saved By The Bell: The New Class
Six Feet Under
Dawson’s Creek
Felicity
Dead Like Me
Battlestar Galactica
Bones
Freaks & Geeks
Ally McBeal (Well, it has not yet been announced officially in R1....)

Wezzo

Second Unit
I've made a lot of blind buys, too; many of which have gone on to become favourites.

Frasier
Seinfeld
Cheers
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Arrested Development
House
Scrubs
Everybody Loves Raymond
Home Improvement
The Shield
A Bit of Fry and Laurie
Huff
Monk
Red Dwarf

..quite possibly others, too; I don't recall.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I havn't had the nerve to blind buy any TV on DVD sets. I have bought a number of movies blind, but they are usually ones I just know I will like, or at least will fit into my collection.

I am a wimp, I netflix things first. I netflixed all of Buffy, then bought the chosen collection.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
I made a blind buy of House S2 this week, too. However, I'm not sure if it's a technical "blind buy." I did catch one episode this past season (the guy who collapsed and couldn't speak in normal sentences). However, I just never had enough time in a the week to make the series appointment tv. I thought a season set would be good since I could watch it on my own terms. If I enjoy it (and I did like the one ep I saw earlier this year), I can see S3 as a blind-buy next August (again, only so much time in the week for first-run tv in my home).

I have also made a blind buy of all seasons of The Sopranos and Curb Your Enthusiasm (I don't have HBO) and have enjoyed them (although IMO the eps are sometimes a bit spotty). I definitely plan to blind buy Extras if it's ever released. (Speaking of Gervais, I did a blind buy of The Office and have never regretted it.) I'm still debating whether to plunge into Entourage.

Another blind buy: Nick Frost's Danger 50,000 Volts. I'm a huge Shaun of the Dead fan so this was a no-brainer for me as soon as I saw it listed on tvshowsondvd. It's pretty entertaining, if a bit repetitive. I'd definitely blind buy Spaced if it's ever released R1.

Biggest blind buy regret: Dark Angel S2. I bought it on July 4 BB sale, and I have not been able to sit through fifteen minutes of an episode without either falling asleep or pressing "stop." I'm still trying to give it a chance, but so far, I'm just glad I didn't pay full price for it. Jessica Alba, James Cameron, and action-adventure; IMO, I thought it was a could-not-miss.

Jeff Wooten

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I've got a fair bit of blind buying in the past, though it's usually because I like the genre or on recommendations from friends, so here has been my experiances.

The Shield (It's good tv but I wouldn't call myself a rabid fan)

CSI in all it's forms (It's good mindless tv for me, I can usually solve the mystery early and laugh at some of the cinematic elements of the show. I only rewatch CSI Miami so far, CSI:NY bothers me because I grew up in New York and I can tell when they arne't shooting there).

The Closer (this is probably the one blind buy I've got that I really didn't like. Probably won't buy the next season, I dislike the character and find the behavior of all the characters laughable).

Farscape was recommended to me by friends and was in my genre of shows, I enjoyed it a lot.

Firefly was recommended by friends, I didn't think it was the best thing since sliced bread but hell, it's one season and it was entertaining.

Roughnecks I bought years ago and haven't watched yet, eventually. I liked the book...

Angel I'm currently blind buying, haven't seen it yet as I don't have seaon one yet from the mail.

the 4400, the first season was cheap and I really liked it, probably one of my biggest surprises in a blind buy.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
My favorite blind buy was the Big Valley. I just barely noticed this show when I was a little kid. I bought it and couldn't stop watching it--I got through all 30 episodes in about 2 weeks, and can't wait for more (hopefully, hopefully...)

My major blind buy was the complete Buffy and Angel sets. Never saw them on the networks, only on dvd. These two shows quickly went up to my favorites list.

Helena

Agent
Real Name
Helen
Some blind buys that I have ended loving :emoji_thumbsup: include:
Firefly
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Wonderfalls

Adam-12 S1

House S1

Grey's Anatomy S1
The X-Files S1-7
Doogie Howser MD S1-4
Hart to hart S1
Joan of Arcadia

Quantum Leap

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (don't love it yet, but might by the time I see a few more episodes :) ).

Some blind buys that I wish that I had not bought:
Ellen S1 (I was able to get through the whole season, but did not like it well enough to want to buy any more seasons).
The Doris Day Show S1 (just can't get into it)
Father Murphy (I thought I would like this one because I am a big fan of Little House, but no such luck).
Here Come the Brides (can't even finish watching the first episode).
Moonlighting (luckily I only bought the 1 disk pilot episode).

Some that I almost bought, but rented or checked out on TV first (thank goodness!):
Arrested Development
Veronica Mars

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I blind buy a lot, and haven't been let down yet. I guess it's because I know what I like and find out what I can about a show to make sure it fits the bill before I buy.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member

I'm wanting to watch (from your list) Popular and Felicity. I saw a couple eps of both but just haven't had time to get to them yet.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Depends on your strict definition of "blind buy". If it is "never saw an episode of it before", I would've blind-bought Sports Night, Sex And The City, The Sopranos, From The Earth To The Moon (I know, mini-series), arguably Homicide: Life On The Street (saw snippets before while channel-surfing, but never an entire episode), and possibly DS9 falls in that category (rented the pilot on VHS) several years before I actually bought the series), but as a Trek-fan already that's not really a blind-buy.

Sports Night was after I was hooked on West Wing, so Sorkin's pedigree sold me, but otherwise I hardly knew anything about the show. With Sopranos and Sex And The City, there was so much hype in the media on the internet that buying S1 wasn't really blind any more, and of course subsequent seasons were simply following up.

Da Ali G Show. But I'd already seen his schtick in his UK shows, so buying the US show wasn't really blind.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I had never seen a single episode of 24 or Firefly when I bought them, but thankfully, they did not disappoint. In fact, they're both now among my favorite shows of all-time. Still, I've played it pretty safe since then, focusing on shows that I have sampled at least once on regular TV. My next blind-buy will probably be Lost.

James Sajdak

Stunt Coordinator
Charmed
One Tree Hill
The OC
Smallville
Veronica Mars
Arrested Development
Undeclared
Dawson's Creek
Freaks & Geeks
Firefly
Tru Calling
ER

Dark Angel (Haven't Watched Yet)

Superboy (Didn't Care For)

With the exception of Superboy I have loved everything that I have bought blindly so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks