Blind Buy - Topper and Topper Returns

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Baqur, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Baqur

Baqur Auditioning

Guys

Need some quick advice.

I am thinking of buying the Cary Grant classic "Topper" and "Topper Returns" on DVD as a blind buy.

What do u recommend?

Thanks in advance.

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Both great flicks, but they I wish they had included the middle film, TOPPER TAKES A TRIP. The disc includes the original and third film in the series.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Topper is a reasonably funny, near-screwball comedy of the late 30s. If you like this kind of (mostly) verbal humor it is worth a buy. As a plus it has Cary Grant. But there are other, far better 30s comedies.

Topper Returns, proves that attempts to recreate the charm of an original film and not doing it too well, is nothing new. This film is missing Grant. And he is missed.

I’d buy this only if I liked 30s comedies and already had the better ones. But for me, it is in my Netflix queue.

I know nothing about the transfer.

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I always get confused about this because I remember the TV series from when I was a kid. It had Leo G. Carrrol as Topper, and the Kirby's died in a ski accident rather than an auto accident. This plot point permitted their huge St. Bernard to also appear as a ghost. IIRC this series was a scream, but I haven't seen it in decades.

5. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

Thoughts on this disc can be found here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=146756

Note that what I'm calling 3:2 pulldown errors in my post may be more accurately thought of as PAL-NTSC errors. I'm not quite sure if these are distinct from one another (my video technology know-how doesn't extend as far into this arena as I'd like [​IMG]), but Topper has real trouble, however you slice it. I've also discussed this a bit on the Chaplin Collection thread. Playing around with frame manipulation options on my Sony player was of no help, though changes to "Pause" mode did help with freeze frames in the Chaplin Collection, and may somewhat improve freeze frames for Topper, I'm not sure -- whatever the case, it was of no help to the full motion Topper experience.