What's new

Blind buy Athena bookshelf speakers (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I hope I made the right choice...I purchased a pair of Athena B1's for front and rears plus the matching center to go together with my velodyne sub. I've never heard them before but since they're on closeout prices I got them at a price I couldn't refuse, I've heard some positive reviews of them and I'd like to hear from other owners. They'll be used in a high ceiling 20x17 family room....Do these speakers strain easily ?

Leroy

Second Unit
I can't speak for those speakers in particular, but I do have a set of Athena Micra6's that sound great. Build quality is good and the 5 year warranty is nice. I've been very happy with them.

Athena seems to building up a following and I've read mostly good things about them.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I bought them a second time. Sold the first set, went through about 14 pair, and then came back to these for HT. Now I have a 2nd audio-only system in the same room.

Anyway, they sound a little weird for the first 20 hours or so, don't worry about it. Put them on 5-channel stereo and let them play at a reasonable level for a while.

I think you'll like them. I have amp issues with my sub right now, so I run them full range, and I am suprised at how full it sounds - really good, actually. No contest for a proper sub, but perfect for those times when it just doesn't matter. After a while, you do't mind going without, especially when things sound this good, no matter how small the cost.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I bought a pair just to try them out. I wasn't totally impressed with the highs or the build quality, but overall I feel it is a very good speaker. For the current price I can't think of one that is better. Good bass, solid midrange, highs are clear but a bit bright.

IMO, they are going to be pushing it in a room that big, but if you cross them over at about 80Hz or 100Hz, you should be OK with the typical receiver.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Agree on the build quality - Fedex dropped them off, sat in the box in full sunshine on the back step and got pretty hot. The vinyl peeled when I let them slide out of my hands as I set one down, I had to work fast to get it back in shape. No issues now, but I FEAKED A BIT.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I got them from Audio Advisor today and I should receive them in a few days. I got two pairs of B1's and the C-1 center channel for $298 plus shipping. I'm planning to cross them over at 80hz and take it from there. I figured at that price I can take a chance on it, plus I have a 30 day money back guarantee if things don't work out...I was acustomed to the Polk sound (rti line) so hopefully this would be as good or better...I'll let you guy's know how it goes.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Just remember that they don't sound good for the first few days. That got reinforced on me and it does get better.

That's true of any new speaker that comes into the house. No judgement until "I" break in, too.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm curious to hear the 1.2s now. I read the other day that someone who had listened to the F2s and the F2.2s and said they sounded basically the same to them.

JeffLab

Stunt Coordinator
To my knowledge, difference between the 1.1's and the 1.2's is purely cosmetic. At least, thats what I've been told by the local retailers.

MikeGee

Second Unit
They are the same speakers. Only difference is that the drivers are silver to match the front part of the speakers.
I have 4 B2's, the center, and the surrounds for my setup and love them. I actually got a pretty crazy deal on mine where i ended up with a pair of B1's for free. So since i dont' have anywhere to connect them right now i just kinda kept them in the box and use them as a little table.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The F2.2s and the F1.2's are lighter, and the F1.2's are also not as deep as I remember.

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks