What's new

Blew another channel (1 Viewer)

Is it possible to have your speakers blow a channel.

I had a Pioneer Elite receiver (about 5 years old) and woke up today only to find out that there was no sound. I checked all the connections and everything looked good. For the last two weeks since I hooked up a new pioneer DVD player, at the start of a movie I would here a pop sound. I didn't think much of it, so let it be. I woke up today, and nothing. I tried out a old receiver and my Klipsch KSB 1.1's worked. I then tried some old speakers with the Elite receiver, and nothing. So it was the receiver. I told the wife it was time to get a new receiver because the Elite was not fixable (hehehehe). Every mans dream to have his wife OK the purchase of new AV gear. Time to upgrade, so I went out and purchase a Harmon Kardon AVR 525, every feature a growing boy needs. So I get the new 525 home, spent a few hours hooking it up and putting it through the tests only to find out the FL channel did not work. Could it be my Klipsch KSB 1.1's or the new Pioneer DVD player? Or is it my bad luck?

Please Help!!!!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well, blowing a channel can be caused by having the speaker wires shorted. This could be from sloppy wire jobs, or older drivers could have internal shorts. (The later is less likely).

(If you have a multimeter, disconnect both ends of the speaker wire and do a resistance check at one end. There should be infinite resistance. If not, somewhere along your speaker wire is a crush-point that is shorting your 2 wires.)

Since the FL channel did not appear to work out-of-the-box, you may have just gotten a damaged unit. You are just having a run of bad luck. (Did you offend any of the stereo or HT gods lateley? :) )

No, I strongly doubt that your DVD player is the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks