What's new

Blending HT With Period Decor (1 Viewer)

Doug Darrell

Auditioning
Hey folks,

We're in the process of designing an 18th century reproduction house. Due to budget constraints, we will be using one room as living/family/home theater. I need to come up with ways to hide the components without compromising function (much!). I assume I'll be placing the display in some sort of cabinetry, but I plan on having a 7.1 setup, so my major concern is concealing the speakers, as they weren't very common in the 1700's :D .

FWIW, I have a pair of Cambridge dipoles I plan to use for the rear, bookshelfs for the mains, and the balance as yet undetermined.

Does anyone have experience with something similar, or know of some good resources?

Doug

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,

Possibly to maintain the feel of the home you'll probably want to check out in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. Less visual impact to the room, with minimal degradation in sound quality. Pros: Great space savers and no visual distraction. Cons: PITA to install and not very cost effective. I would guess this is a non-issue if you plan on using regular speakers.

I would also suggest a built in audio cabinet, unless you plan on having an entertainment center to which the components would be stored.

Doug Darrell

Auditioning
Thanks David. In-wall/ceiling designs might not be a bad idea, especially if they are planned for prior to construction, I'm thinking.

As for the components, we'll have built-ins on either side of the fireplace. The display will be in between the front windows, with the fireplace on the wall to the right. So I think I can place the components in the built-in closest to the display. Worst case, I can use conceiled IR relayers if the angle doesn't work well for the remote.

Getting back to the in-wall speaker - what are the top performers these days? I was heavy into speakers back in the day, but concessions to the Spousal Unit sort of dampened my activity in matters audiophile. Since it's just lines on paper with the new house, now's my chance! ;)

Doug

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,

Here are some of the good ones that I have heard of:

Triad
Niles Audio
JM Lab

Definetly, plus if the funds only allow for a 5.1 setup NOW, it'll be much easier to add the final 2.

So as an aside, I would definetly wire for 7.1 even if your only doing a 5.1

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking all over the 'net for those wall-hung speakers that look like oil paintings but, I can't seem to find them.

If I remember, they're kinda pricey, and I don't know how they sound.. but they did look cool!

Whoop! I just found it after I posted... I don't know if these are the same ones I was thinking of, but the same idea:

http://www.gekkoaudio.com/

(click on the ARTGEKKO link)

Doug Darrell

Auditioning
The ArtGekko stuff looks pretty cool; but I can't seem to get to their site. I'll have to give Google a more thorough workout for info. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks