"Bleeding" receiver... help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Larson, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

I just found out that my receiver plays two signals at the same time!! Read on...
    When it is set to Tuner, it is fine. Then if i start playing a CD in the CD player, the CD can be heard clearly - even though the receiver is set to Tuner. What do i do?? This happens at all levels. I am using RS Gold interconnects and have only a CD player, stereo receiver, and two speakers. (Nothing fancy)
    Should i return it?? I really like it [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Sounds like the receiver is faulty. There's something wrong with the switching circuit.

Have you tried connecting the CD player to a different set of inputs (say, AUX) and see if the problem still happens?

How old is the receiver? Is it a recent model with a remote, or an older one with mechanical switches?

KJP

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

ML: If the unit is not defective, the only advice I can give you is to "not play two sources at once"? You'll have to make the return decision based on how much you like it and how much of a deal you got on it and what else is available at that price point.

4. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

So nobody else's receivers do this?? [​IMG]
    It's an Onkyo TX-8511 . I got it almost new (Return) for 150 shipped. So it's pretty cheap and works faultlessly otherwise. [​IMG]

5. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I guess you just discovered why it was returned in the first place...

Try exchanging it for another. It shouldn't do that. If there's any bleed through, it should be barely audible, if at all. It sounds like you're getting the CD at normal volume when playing the tuner. Have you tried other inputs, like Tape, Aux, etc?

KJP

6. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I used a TX-8211 for a few months, and I don't think it did anything like that. Of course, I doubt I had my CD player and tuner running at the same time.