Blaupunkt Receiver Wiring in 00 Explorer

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Dave Bennett, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Hey everyone,
    So my brother bought a Blaupunkt Casablanca CD receiver along with some new Polk speakers from Crutchfield(the headunit was on clearence for 99 bucks on Thanksgiving Day) for his 00 Ford Exploder(I mean Explorer [​IMG] We installed the CD receiver tonight. I'll be the first to say Blaupunkt has the most bizarre wiring I've ever seen. Two seperate wiring harnesses, what's that about? Anyhow, i wired everything up, and double checked all the connections. Everything powered up but it seems that the radio stays on even with the ignition turned to the off position(where as my JVC and all the other headunits I've installed turn off as well). Now I was reading that the Blaupunkt has a "feature" that allows it to play for 1 hour with the ignition off with and then it turns off.
    I noticed that it seems like you can turn on the radio without the key in the ignition and that the radio doesn't turn off when the key is removed from the ignition. As I said, I triple checked the wiring on the Crutchfield supplied Ford Harness and the Blaupunkt's harness. The Red 12v contast wire was to the Red 12v constant wire and the yellow 12v accessory wire was to the Yellow 12v accessory wire. I don't think it's a wiring issue.
    Has anyone had any experience with Blaupunkt head units? Is this normal behavior or a setting that can be changed somewhere? My brother said he didn't care but I'd really like to figure this out even just for my benefit. Plus, part of me knows he's going to forget to turn it off at some point and come out to a nice dead battery.
    Also on a side note, the Dash kit supplied by Crutchfield was actually broken in half when we opened it so we had to go buy one at Tweeter($15). Given the amazing deal we got my brother didn't mind ponying up a few extra dollars so we could get it installed tonight rather than waiting for a new one from Crutchfield. Even with one that wasn't broken, the Explorer Dash kit has to be the most backwards thing I've ever seen. The directions that Crutchfield gave in the Master Sheet and the instructions that came with the Kit seemed to leave out pieces of how to properly assemble the thing. It was only on after several boughts of installing it only to find it insecure that we discovered the back support rail that needed to be attached.
    Anyhow, sorry for the ranting. I assumed like the 5 or so other Car Stereos I've installed, that this headunit would take about 90 minutes tops. In the end it took us a good 5 hours including stopping for dinner and to go to Tweeter for another dash kit.
    If anyone has any info on the Blaupunkt wiring I'd appreciate it.
    We're doing the speakers on Saturday and if I learned anything from my Impreza, it's that those are usually more time consuming than the headunit [​IMG]

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

There has to be a way to bypass that "feature"/

Have you read the instructions?

B

3. Dave Bennett

I didn't look at the instructions because I was convinced it was a wiring problem. I told my brother to peruse them though as I was wondering if a setting was what was doing that. Now I know that not only is Blaupunkt funky in exterior design, but also in wiring [​IMG]

4. Sean^M

Sean^M Stunt Coordinator

I've never been a fan of theirs, myself.
    I've always found them to be extremely ugly looking, and lacking in performance and features for the most part. I believe their only real claim to fame was Porsche's choice to use them as a factory radio for a few years.
    I do hope you get it figured out though. Best of luck.

5. Dave Bennett

Sean,
    Yeah Blaupunkt wouldn't have been my choice, but for $100 bucks including the wiring harness my brother needed, it was too good of a deal to pass up. I personally am not a fan but like I said, he was on a tight budget and other than that oddball wiring issue, he seems pretty happy with it. I think it'll stick with my mid range JVC though [​IMG]

6. Sean^M

Sean^M Stunt Coordinator

I am about to pull my JVC El Kameleon myself, in favor of the Alpine CDA-9813 I just bought. the JVC is a great little CD player/changer controller though. Very ncie unit.
    Tuner isn't the best, but it's good. CD playback is fine.
    I like the face of it as well. not cheap looking like so many units these days.

It sounds like the unit your brother got was a good deal. It's hard to find any good unit for $100 or less, so he did well.