What's new

Blaster Virus Emails... Help! (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I have a 3.4KB/s connection when I'm not at the house with a cable modem. As of this moment, I have 161 emails to download at 17.2MB's. That'll take at least two hours because I have to be here to monitor outlook express and hit the 'Wait' b utton after the server 'stops' responding after 60 seconds..

Is there anyway that I can set up OE to NOT download these files from the server?

Thanks

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I know there are different pieces of software to use for things like this where you can look at your mail on the server and trash it there instead of having to download it, but I'm not aware of any names.

Blaster doesn't send emails, incidentally.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Neil..

I had an instance where I was downloading one file that was huge with a dial up connection. The mail/file was just a dumb joke that someone sent me. Fortunately, they gave me a heads up after they sent it.

I called my ISP and asked them to delete the message on their server, which they did. I lost privacy (if that exists) at that particular moment in time for my mail, but it was worth the sacrifice to be rid of that long download.

Perhaps call your ISP and ask them to delete your mails on their server, so you don't have to download them.

Charles

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Most ISPs should have a web portal for accessing your mail when not at home (same way Yahoo mail or Hotmail works). If you have one, just log in and kill them suckas then report the senders :)

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Neil,

Rob has the answer to your dilemena IF your ISP has remote mail access. Good troubleshooting Rob!!!

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Actually there's a better option. Set up a rule in Outlook Express to delete the mails from the server before downloading. You'll need to identify a common title, from address or anything else you can think of that is the same amongst all the mails - perhaps any mail with an attatchment.

Gary Neuwirth

Stunt Coordinator
My blaster virus story...

When this sucker first came out I had Windows 2000 and had already updated to where I was protected...plus I had Norton Antivirus and a firewall.

Well last week I decided it was time for a harddrive reformat and then I freshly installed my copy of windows. I installed norton anivirus and then decided to connect to the internet.

I went into my control panel to do some tweaks and then within 3 minutes I got an error msg (svchost.exe). Did a quick check on the error msg and it was due to msblast.

Then it was confirmed when a nice big red box popped up from norton telling me I had it. Learned a lesson real quick...get my firewall up BEFORE connecting to the internet.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Yes, there are other variants on the mailwasher theme as well. Nobody should have to call their ISP just to clean out a multimegabyte file from their inbox, there is software out there to download the headers and then delete the mail on the server before downloading the actual thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks