What's new

Blast from the past-- West Point Story (late 50's) (1 Viewer)

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't it interesting how sounds can trigger a memory?

I happened, recently, to rent "The Long Gray Line," a movie about West Point and an instructor there.

In the beginning there was a short segment featuring a snippet from "The West Point March".

That triggered a faint memory of the television series, "West Point Story," which was on only a season or two (I think) in the late 50's. The theme song of the show was the same excerpt of "The West Point March" as that used in "The Long Gray Line".

I didn't even know I remembered the television show. I don't think I thought of it since I last saw it on television (1957 or 1958). And, I don't really remember a whole lot about the show, as I was a young child. I think it featured either true stories, or stories inspired by true events. I don't think the show had a regular cast. It was more of an anthology with guest stars. I think. Briefly searching around the web, I see that it had some talented actors and writers (Steve McQueen and Gene Rodenberry, for instance). Many became more well known in the 60's (Leonard Nimoy, for example).

I can't ever remember anyone ever posting anything on this show, and I found nothing on a search. I presume it is so unknown or unremembered that it will probably never be issued on DVD.

Nevertheless, I'd buy it immediately, were it to be available.

Does anyone else remember this show?

Who might hold the rights?

Anybody interested in getting it on DVD?

Regards,

DG

P.S. I only have a relatively complete memory of only one episode. It involved a cadet who disagreed with his professor about an engineering analysis of pressure in the West Point water main, and engaged a group of fellow cadets to help him test his theory. He did an experiment with a coordinated group effort to open and then suddenly close all the water faucets, which caused the water main to rupture. Does anyone remember this episode? (Grasping at straws, here) Any details of that episode? (Who? When? etc.)

Thank you.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Well, I'm not expecting to see this on dvd any time soon, but if it appeared, I'd certainly give it a look-see. There was also another series, "Men of Annapolis," around the same time. I've never seen an example of it either. The 1950s had a rather mind-boggling number of these long-forgotten 'filmed' series, many of them with enough cultural or aesthetic merit to warrant their revivals. I cling to the hope that the tv-on-dvd trend will rescue some of these oddities.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator
I presume it is so unknown or unremembered that it will probably never be issued on DVD.
Actually the entire series is available on DVD. I'm still looking to find a link for you since it was a specialty item. If I remember, it's a box set of the entire series for about $295 and might be a limited edition set. I'll check for that link.

CherylWI

Stunt Coordinator
So there really was a show called West Point? I thought it was all in my imagination. I remember the theme music to the show and can still hum it now. I was still a toddler when it came out but I seem to remember a military band and cadets marching in formation during the credits.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
Is this bizarre, or what. I, too, mainly remembered the tune, and the marching imagery, and I was 5 years old the last time I would have seen it (in 1957). I can still hum it, and recognized it instantly in the movie "The Long Gray Line". It is the final portion of "The West Point March". Google it and you can find legal, free streaming media files.

I would buy it at $20, $40, or maybe $60, but I have a hard time spending $295 for it.

DG

P.S. Just a little nit FYI... the name includes the word "Story", as in "West Point Story".

CherylWI

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. I wonder why they're charging $295 for it. Doesn't make sense.

CherylWI

Stunt Coordinator
I just listened to the West Point March streaming and your right the latter part of the march is what they used for the tv show. I loved the orchestration and it gave me chills listening to it after all these years.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you, Jeff.

Anyone know who owns the rights?

Can anyone identify my "mystery episode"?

Regards,

DG

P.S. Cheryl, I apologize for my arrogance in "correcting" you. Based on the link Jeff supplied, I think I no longer "know" just what the name of the series actually was.

P.P.S. That link is interesting-- the sample shots show young Clint Eastwood, Barbara Eden, Steve McQueen, and Leonard Nimoy (short hair & no ears).

Based on info at that link, it would appear rights belonged to MGM. So, what does that mean today?

Looks nice, but, $275.... Whewwwwwwwww

CherylWI

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe the $275 price tag is meant as a donation to help fund the West Point Academy. Eventually it will be released for a general audience to enjoy. The transfers look pretty darn good.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
West Point Story --- There's an old TV series before my time that I've never seen! :)
I wouldn't spend even $40 let alone $275 for it on video. If an episode or two ever turns up on TV Land (always a possibility) maybe then I'll watch it.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
It's coming out on February 26, 2013, a 4-DVD collection of the complete series from Timeless Media Group/Shout! Factory. West Point was produced by ZIV-TV Productions, lated folded into United Artists, then MGM, the current rights holder.

Does this mean that TMG now has access to the MGM TV library? Wow, could this mean access to Dr. Kildare and others?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Villafana /t/212490/blast-from-the-past-west-point-story-late-50s#post_4000795
Does this mean that TMG now has access to the MGM TV library? Wow, could this mean access to Dr. Kildare and others?

No, Timeless is releasing West Point on the basis of it being a ZIV title because they've now got access to portions of that library. That's the key to this series coming next year. As much as I want to see Dr. Kildare released, I think it will come via the WB Archives and not Timeless.

Gary "thankful for Timeless each and every day" O.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Richard Villafana said:
When Turner bought the MGM/UA library back in the 1980's he raided several properties before selling in - including the key MGM Shows - U.N.C.L.E., DR.KILDARE,GILLIGAN'S ISLAND,etc so those are not owned by the current MGM.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Actually, *anything* that was produced by MGM itself, the studio, is today Warner owned under the 86 sale just like all MGM produced movies prior to 1986 are Turner owned. OTOH, programs produced by United Artists TV (Rat Patrol, Stoney Burke) were assets that stayed with MGM. That's the key distinction, because if it was made by MGM directly it's Warner owned now.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Today's MGM is basicly United Artists/Ziv,Orion/Filmways and American International Pictures along with a few other bits.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
So, just to be sure, is the West Point set going to be a complete series set? I thought from what I read on TVShowsOnDVD that they did not come out and say the set was a complete series set. Maybe I misread the post, but if it's complete, that is good news.

Users who are viewing this thread