blargh, can't seem to get progressive scan?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by chris_jh_moses, Aug 14, 2003.

1. chris_jh_moses

--ok, tried the slowest search this time and turned up a result. had to press and hold the vfp button on the remote to turn on progressive scan. Please let this thread die a pleasantly useless death now [​IMG] --

Two questions in this one's stead about the sony
    (oops, deleted model - KP-46WT500)
    1) Is there anyway to upconvert 480p to 1080i??(forgive the ignorance but I have no clue) - nm, found answer (obviously no)
    2)What's the best DRC setting to use - Interlaced, Progressive (recommended for still images and text),
    or cinemotion? - nm found answer (cinemotion)
    new # 3
    3) how do I use/access the flash focus feature? -nm, found buttons on front of set [​IMG]

Thanks much!!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    In your setup menu for the player, there must be a setting for interlaced/progressive. Look for this setting. Some players have an actual switch on the unit, but it does not look like yours does.

One thing you did not mention is the connection type. You MUST use a component video connection to get progressive scan; it will not be output from the composite (single RCA) or S-video connections.

3. chris_jh_moses

thanks for the info john, figgured it out finally thanks to a better search on the forum (i'm using component cables from bluejeanscables.com btw). Primarily interested in this set now as it was kind of a spur of the moment purchase, didn't research it terribly well [​IMG]

4. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    I have a Sony XBR tv and I find that the best DRC to keep it on for most viewing is Cinemotion.

5. chris_jh_moses

Bill,
    Thanks, appreciate the info,
    on yet another note (trying to not start multiple threads here). I'm curious as to how to use some of the avia convergence test patterns, there aren't really any directions/instructions as to what to look for/what to do.
    Thanks much!

6. chris_jh_moses

ok again, to maintain info in one thread, question to the KP46WT500 owners out there. I've been watching 4:3 material using the widescreen->widescreen stretch mode. I was under the impression that this just stretched the sides out to fill the 16x9 area. However, i've noticed that it stretches the image beyond the borders of the tv, i.e., things on the extreme left and right of the image are cut off and things at the very top and very bottom are cut off (baseball scores at the top for instance and espn score list at the bottom). I've played with the vertical feature but that just means that I cut off all of the top or all of the bottom. Am I using the wrong viewing mode here or is this normal, or is something wrong with my set? Thanks much