What's new

Blanking problem (1 Viewer)

Troy K

Auditioning
I have a barco data 808 and the blanking does not work for top and bottom. So far I only have about 40 dollars invested in the unit.

My question is if I get a line doubler would that help? I have a 16:9 screen and I have read the DVDO iscan will convert 3:2 images to 16:9. I wonder if it would also compress the image to elliminate the 4 white rectangles that flash off and on above the picture with some of my DVDs.

Anybody know??

PS I intend to get one eventually...will get it quicker if it helps this problem.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
For the doubler be sure the projector accepts 640 x 480 x 60 Hz (regular VGA) input.
A doubler would not eliminate flashing rectangles or other ragged edges above and below the picture, in fact it may substitute different shaped flashing rectangles or lines. If the doubler did get rid of them, what the doubler really did was coincidentally substitute different rectangles that were black in color, or crop the picture a bit. Getting rid of this is something the TV has to do, and if your TV does not have electronic matting (or overscan if this garbage is extremely close to the screen edge) you will have to make cardboard or cloth mattes.
The flashing rectangles are either occupying some of the scan lines 1 - 480, or the TV/projector is not killing the electron beam during all of scan lines 481-525.
The iScan with one exception does not convert pictures from one aspect ratio to another, this is best done with or without any doubler by stretching the picture on the TV set. The exception in the case of the iScan is that, if the picture is 4:3 but your TV insists on stretching or squeezing it to a 16:9 shape, the iScan pro model will reformat the picture with the flip of a switch so it comes out right. I am told that the iScan Pro does not introduce artifacts when it does this but instead the effective output resolution including the black side bars changes to 480 x 960. You you need HDTV grade cables.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Troy K

Auditioning
Thanks very much for the info. The real answer I guess is to get my projector fixed so that the blanking works as it should.

Thanks for your other insights as well. I have much to learn, but I am having a blast!

Take care,

Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks