What's new

Blank Videotape Test Results (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Jim, yes you can use S-VHS tapes in a VHS machine, some would argue that the quality would be the same or better than the higher grade VHS tapes.
I did record on two new tapes I never used before, one was BASF broadcast S-VHS tape and Panasonic's S-VHS tape engineered for professional use.
Machine used JVC 7600 S-VHS VCR with DNR on and off.
Recording Source Dolby's Got the Whole World Listening the Trailers.
BASF gets an A++, the reproduction of the video material to me was stellar, very little grain and with the DNR off you can barely see the grain that tapes have VHS or S-VHS. The sound reproduction was clean with no cracks or pops. Seperation on this tape and the lack of hiss made this defenitely CD quality sound. 8.99 makes this tape worth getting for those movies that are not on DVD and won't be on DVD for a long time. (Watch out Disney, if you ever play Toy Story or Toy Story 2 on the premium channels on satellite, it's going on this tape)
Panasonic S-VHS tape, C-, the video material was not bad more grainy than BASF, TDK, JVC-XG and Fuji, but above certainly JVC-SV S-VHS tape. I tried the first trailer with DNR and it was a little soft but the second trailer without DNR, to me came out better. As far as the sound was concerned this gives the lost of a letter and the minus on the grade. There are cracks not just in the video but in the audio portions of the tape. It cracked at some points on both trailers. I thought that it was a calibration problem but I did wait until the video calibration meter was complete. I would say use this tape for everyday recording but for 6.99 as oppose to 3.99 for JVC-SV I would stay with JVC.
Here's my line up of the S-VHS tapes.
1. BASF
2. TIED BETWEEN TDK, FUJI AND JVC-XG
3. MAXELL S-VHS
4. PANASONIC
5. JVC-SV
------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
I have the JVC-7600 and - after experimrenting with various brands - have found that BASF Super High Grade VHS tapes yield excellent results, just a notch below S-VHS tapes, at about a third of the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks