Blank spaces now dashes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan Case, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

Parker,

I've just noticed that my "silent" Buster Keaton signature (which I've had for at least two years) no longer shows up as blank spaces between quotation marks but rather as "_ _ _".

I don't think this is nearly as pleasing aesthetically and I would probably change my sig to something else if it's unfixable (something I'd really like to avoid, if possible).

Is there a way I can get it back to simply blank spaces?

(FWIW, it still shows up as blank space in my control panel signature box, but nowhere else.)

Thanks,

Evan

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Evan:

How does it look now?

Parker

3. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

Hmm, it looks like there is only one blank space in between the quotes (the regular way should have eight or so blank spaces).

I seem to recall having similar problems when I first tried creating the signature. It seems like the program automatically renders extraneous blank spaces non-existent.

Just a test. (I had originally put about ten extra spaces between "a" and "test" but it reverted to just one.)

My initial attempts never worked until someone mentioned something in the vB code (actually is was probably uBB code at the time) that would counteract this by registering an extraneous blank space as an actual "character", so to speak. Unfortunately, I forgot that code long ago.

If you could, check out my signature creation box in the Edit Profile section: that's how the blank characters in my signature should look. For whatever reason, the coding I used is no longer there, but the blank spaces remain.

Evan

4. Parker Clack

Parker
    Evan:

I am not sure what to do here. I am also not sure why all of a sudden the script replaced your spaces with - marks instead.

I modified you signature by removing all the spaces and then putting them back in which took care of the - marks but as you noticed it doesn't put more than one space in there for you.

If I figure this out I will change your signature back for you. Until then I am sorry but it appears that the extra spaces are going to not show up in your signature.

Parker

5. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

If I may be so bold: Another way around this is to insert a blank image of sufficient width between your quotation marks.

6. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

Andrew:
    Is this an easy thing to do and could you, if possible, tell me how to do this so that I don't have to go searching around the internet for the proper manner in which to accomplish this? (I often fancy myself computer/internet saavy, but when you get right down to it, I'm basically clueless--not unlike looking through the HTF Hardware section! [​IMG])
    Thanks.
    Evan

7. Parker Clack

Parker
    Evan:

I took Andrew's suggestion and put a blank image in your sigature file between the quotes. How does it look now?

Parker

8. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

There you go!

Isn't Parker great, Evan? He took care of your signature for you.

9. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Another way to insert multiple blank spaces is to use "& nbsp;" (without the space between the ampersand and the nbsp). This creates a non-breakable space.

Example: There are threespaces between "three" and "spaces".

KJP

10. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

Wow, thanks Parker!
    I love this place. [​IMG]
    Evan

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

As kevin said, there is a specific character for SPACE in HTML. If you put 100 spaces between characters- HTML will display this as one. This has nothing to do with the HTF, rather is a standard of HTML.

-Vince