Blank Minidiscs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Silverman, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Hi gang,
    I just scored a MiniDisc player/recorder off eBay. I remember doing a head-to-head comparison of MD vs. CD about 8 or 9 years ago on some high-end equipment and being very impressed.
    Now the question is- what about blanks? It seems there are a few different types. What are the differences? What's a reasonable amount to spend, and what brands are the best quality? Should I be concerned with exactly which type of disc I get? (with cassettes there's chrome, metal, etc. etc.)
    Thanks!

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

It's like asking what's the difference between different floppy discs. They all sound exactly the same. However, I have had data problems with TDK discs and none with other brands. Also, the colored Maxell discs don't fit well in my Sony MZ-R30 player/recorder. I avoid those and buy all others.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker

3. Joe Vidal

Joe Vidal Extra

I have a MZR-30 and the only problems I encountered were with the Sony "reg. grade" 74min. minidiscs. They skipped or stopped abruptly after an hour of use (esp. after freq. edits).
    The TDK high grade (gold) 74s worked fine for me (even after several edits and re-uses). The new Maxell high grades are a snug fit but work fine also.
    I'd avoid the reg. grade Sonys and the Memorex multi-colored ones (never tried them- goiing on company rep. there).
    Minidisc manufacturing is down to the point where there almost as inexpensive to produce as CD's - we end up paying the premium for the packaging/company and the fact it's a "high-end consumer product" with lower volume production numbers.

4. David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein Stunt Coordinator

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I've tried Maxell, TDK, HiSpace, and Sony minidiscs. No problems with the Maxell, TDK, or Sony. HiSpace--avoid them like the plague. Minidisco sells them under their own brand name as well. They are crap--I've had many with dropouts on them.
    Nowadays when I order/pick up MDs I usually go for the Sony ones. Minidisco carries Sony ES discs at a decent price.
    KJP

7. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

I've never had problems with any brand so far, though I've never tried HiSpace. Fuji is another reliable brand I've been using a lot lately.
    If you decide to try any of the "gold" discs, be careful. There's a line advertised as being "gold" from Maxell that simply uses a yellow window on the cartridge to make the disc look gold; the disc inside is just the normal-grade silver one!

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I use a variety of MDs, including TDK, Memorex, and Sony. The only ones I make a point to avoid are Hi-Space based on their poor reputation. Back about a year-and-a-half ago, I experienced a couple audio dropouts on one song on a Memorex disc. It was shortly after I had gotten back from a trip where I had taken that disc and some others along with my portable player. It's possible that the disc got dirty somehow. Anyway, I erased the track, re-recorded it, and moved it to the original place in the playlist and have had no problems with this or any other Memorex disc since. Maybe I've been lucky, but since I've had good results with so many MDs, I admittedly will buy ones that look cool. I recently bought TDK and Sony MDs that come in colored assortments. They've worked fine.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

9. Joe Vidal

Joe Vidal Extra

Just thought I'd bump this one back up. I just recently purchased and tried some Sony 80-minute MDs. They are simply awesome. Not only are they quieter (much better for any bootleggers) than the 74s, they seem to hold up better to shakes and bumps. I never believe package advertising but this is one case where I found the "shock resistant casing" to be proven true in practice. The extra 6 minutes is just an added bonus.
    They heve the multi-colored Sony 80s at minidisco.com....a little higher than what I paid though. [​IMG]

10. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

You have to remember that MD is a digital data format, not analog audio. They all sound exactly the same. Any differences you hear between one disc and the next are in your imagination. It's like saying your word processing files are stored better on this disc than that one. So the only features that really matter are:
    1) Physical function
    2) Size and smeariness of the labels
    3) Price
    4) How cool they look
    The colored Memorexes have plastic doors on them, and one of these is the only MD I have ever had that broke. I would skip them entirely. I have a lot of grey Memorexes because they are often very cheap at The Buy, but I don't exactly love them; the labels tend to smudge and peel off my discs. The colored Sonys are way cool, but they also peel.
    My preference is for the yellow Victors that come in little jexel boxes, but these are hard to find.
    ------------------
    Andrew Hamm's new album Strange Education is available now!
    [Edited last by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm on September 02, 2001 at 08:36 AM]

11. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

I've also had problems with Memorex and Maxell MDs breaking. I have the Sony MD-E11 MD player and use only Sony discs. No problems there.

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    No more Hi-Space MD's for me. I have several with bad spots/dropouts on them. I like Minidisco's little jewell boxes though. I bought some empty ones. I'm tired of my MD's falling out of those little slip-cases. Besides the Hi-Space discs, I've never had a problem. Best wishes!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

13. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

quote: You have to remember that MD is a digital data format, not analog audio. They all sound exactly the same. Any differences you hear between one disc and the next are in your imagination.[/quote]This is true, only until you encounter a disc with a high enough error rate to cause dropouts. Then they don't sound the same!!
    However, sound quality in general (noise level, distortion, etc.) don't apply to individual MDs, since they're digital. They either play "perfectly" or they play crappy (dropouts).
    One exception: if you're using a portable recorder with a built-in mic, or a mic attached directly to the jack without a cable, the mic could pick up disc spinning noise, which can vary between brands of discs. But that's a mechanical noise, not electronic.
    KJP
    [Edited last by Kevin P on September 03, 2001 at 09:10 AM]

14. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I love the 80 minute Sonys too....I have a lot of albums from the 1970s and you can almost always fit two of those on an 80, whereas you can't always manage it with a 74. I mostly get Sony (for 74s) just because the local Best Buy usually has those at some kind of deal price. But I can't tell the difference between brands and don't see why one should be able to.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."