What's new

blank dvd-r(w) recommendations (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have experience ordering from supermediastore.com or meritline.com -- they seem to have good prices on Ritek DVD-R

What does newegg charge for shipping?

Thanks,
Ted

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ted,

I'm in the perfect position to answer
your question....

I decided it was about time to save a little
money and try Ritek discs.

I found a 50-pack on sale at NEWEGG.COM
for $45 (now up $1 to $46-$47). I never
ordered from NEWEGG before, but I thought
I'd try them nonetheless.

NEWEGG even offered FREE SHIPPING via Fedex
Saver shipping.

Well, I got the discs in 2 days.

Haven't tried to burn anything yet, but with
all the feedback I have read on this forum,
I am quite confident that I'll be very happy.

A hefty recommendation for NEWEGG.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Update: I did get the 50 pack from newegg (for $44) and they work fine. Recommended.

Only one problem: they don't come on a spindle and I don't happen to have one -- does anyone know where I can get an empty spindle?

Thanks!
Ted

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I have never had problems with any of the discs I've bought. I guess I was blessed with a good writer (Pioneer DVR-104). DVD-RW's though won't play right for more than one burn, after the second my Sony DVD player won't play the outer tracks (the end of the movie). I know, it's a Sony but for now I will have to live with it...

For media, I would check out http://www.meritline.com and for DVD compatibility http://www.dvdrhelp.com

I've been using some of the media that is now selling for as low as 51c a disc, and Ritek discs are going for 60-70c a disc.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
DVDinfopro is an essential tool to see what kind of media you're actually getting.

Example: A co-worker got some DVD-Rs (Memorex) and gave them to another co-worker to burn some DVD-Rs for her. The burned DVD-Rs work fine for most other people at work, but most of them don't work on her new JVC DVD/VHS combo, her Dell PC, and another DVD player her ex-hubby has.

But they work for everyone else at work. A review of DVDrhelp finds that she could have anything from media that is very good, to iffy, to downright junk on the worst type (one user reported an "illegal medium" message from Nero).

Brand name means nothing. They will change around the manuf. and you'll never know. I've learned this.

I gave her one of my Riteks to test. Worked absolutely perfectly.

With Fujitsus, you can check out the label. If they are made in Japan, you've most likely got Taiyo Yudens. Congrats, one of the very best quality media. Otherwise, you've got much iffier stuff.

The Riteks that should be avoided are the orange top ones that are floating around at less reputable vendors. Sounds like C grade media that got out into distribution channels. As well as a bunch of them with waterfalls, trees, etc on them. Very generic looking.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I've tried Princo dyes, Optodisc dyes, Prodisc dyes and all have been utter crap compared to Ritek A-grade. They tend to be OK for data, but video DVDs will often stutter and break up in the latter half of the disc.

TDK, Verbatim etc are also very good indeed but too expensive and are usually branded with the company logos. I like my discs completely plain because I've got a little TDK thermal printer that does a grand job of on-disc images.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.