What's new

Blank DVD Prices - Bargains? (Merged) (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I just picked up a DVD burner last night, and was wondering if anyone in the Toronto area could give me an idea of what decent quality (i.e. working) blank DVD-R discs should cost. I picked up a bunch of 4x Memorex DVD-Rs for $2 each plus tax with the burner at Future Shop, and some of the initial research that I've done seems to suggest that this is at least an OK price. I don't really care about cases-I'd actually prefer plain spindles, since I keep all my PC stuff in big CD wallets, and still have about 150 extra jewel cases sitting around from my early CDR days. Anyone have any good sources for blanks?

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Internet shopping can net some pretty good prices, around .40 - .60 each, if you're diligent. A couple of sites I use are Pricewatch.com and Ben's Bargains. I got some decent 2x DVD-Rs, a 50-disc spindle for 26.00. I also got in on COMPUSA's 9.99 AR deal on 50 1x DVD-Rs.

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
The online store I most often use (for quality and service) is http://www.shop4tech.com. They have a really wide selection and good prices on Ritek brand media, which I think is provides the best bang for the buck. Sure there are cheaper blanks out there, but I always end up with bad experiences with them (loss of data or unable to read after a certain length of time) Either way, they've got lots of stuff, check them out.

Rodon

Second Unit
www.newegg.com Ritek 50 pak of 4X DVD-R media (one of the best to buy) for $49 and shipping is cheap! Check out threads on www.fatwallet.com as well - they can point you in a good direction with reviews of wich vendors are good.

Newegg has always been very good for my purchases.

Some people like allmediaoutlet.com but it looks hit or miss on customer service. Price is right though.

chris rick

Second Unit
ok...so I've checked out some sights, now honestly what's reliable and cheap? A friend I know uses Memorex dvd-r and they seem pretty good, but what's kinda comparable and cheap? What about Ritek? Thanks!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This morning at Office Max (2/1/03), they are offering 100 DVD+Rs for $60-$20 MIR ($40 after rebate, before tax), and the brand is from Arita (Richoh/Ritek - OEM verson)

Media ID:
DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R01-002

Better get them quick because Office Max isn't doing substitutions for this deal.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Staples has a 25 pack of HP DVD+R discs $24.95

If you can brand name discs for $1 each,
I consider it a great bargain.

Rodon

Second Unit
Thanks Patrick! I did not have an Office MAX ad in todays paper. I would have missed this one without your note. Picked one up when they opened at 11:00am. They were already packed when I got there and the DVD+Rs were going fast.

What program did you use to identify the DVD media?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You can try using shareware:

DVDInfoPro.

My Office Max story for today:

I got there and 4 other people were in front of me, so I and others make a bee line to the blank recordable media aisle and find a single pack of 100 RITEK disc, the first guy grabs it, and everyone else is bummed, I look around for more, and the 100-pack re-appears, I grabbed it, looked at the label, and it was a 100-pack of CD-R (thus the hasty put-back). Then I overhear another customer looking for the 100-pack of DVD+Rs and find out that you have to get in line at the manager's office to get the items. I make haste and get there, and another 3-5 people are in line, but thankfully, they didn't want the 100-pack of DVD+Rs (they went for the cheap 120GB HDs and RAM), and I got my 100-pack and paid for it and got the hell out of there!

Rodon

Second Unit
Grrr.

The rebate requires the original UPC barcode.

It is a FU##### sticker that is adhered to the bottom plastic cover and is not removable. How the FU## do they expect me to get this UPC off so I can send it in without damaging it?? About to get out the dremel and carve it out of the plastic.

Rodon

Second Unit
Well I called Office Max but the manager was way too busy and all he could say was he did not know what he could do.

So - I took out some pliers and broke off the extra plastic on the botton of the plastic ring. Then put the cut off wheel on the dremel and cut out the UPC. The UPC with the flat plastic backing will be mailed win with the receipt and rebate form. All that for $20 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks