Blake's 7?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Kriefall, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    About a year ago, there were some rumors of the first series of Blake's 7 being released on DVD in Region 1 -- possibly by a Canadian company. Since then I've not been able to find any additional information about this release. Anyone know if it's been cancelled, or merely postponed?

2. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I really love this show. They're really progressing with the upcoming made for TV movie in the UK, and I recall seeing the official website finally up and running. The R2 season 1 box set looked incredible, so I hope we fans in the Americas get something respectable on DVD for this well-written British sci-fi soap.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

BFS Entertainment are the ones who said it would come out in Jan 2003, and then took it off the schedule without ever giving a real satisfactory explanation. I guess we should call them and see what the status is.

4. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

The much delayed first set was scheduled for release on September 22 in the UK. A couple days ago, I received an e-mail from Amazon UK saying that it has been delayed; no new date given, although it is supposed to be at least the beginning of next year (don't bet anything on this).

Of all the TV series in all the world, I want this one but it just ain't comin'.

6. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    Hmm... even the region 2 set has been delayed? That doesn't bode well for a region 1 release.

I was struggling to recall the name of the Canadian company, but after reading David's post above I now recognize that it was indeed BFS.

I still have all of the episodes on videotape, although many of them are poor quality, off-air recordings. I've made VideoCDs from a few of the tapes, and may need to finish off that task if DVDs aren't released soon.

That'd be quite a task, so... bring on the DVDs! [​IMG]

7. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

8. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

I quite like Blakes 7 too and would be interested in purchasing the first three seasons at least probably all four. If there is a revival which looks likely it would certainly aid its success if DVDs of the original were available. Blackstar says its coming in October but again with all the changes to the release date I suppose we should take that with a pinch of salt. This would be one of the very few TV boxsets I would be interested in if only they would release Doctor Who in season boxsets too !

9. CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe Stunt Coordinator

I hate to say this, but I won't buy a Blake's 7 DVD set if it comes from BFS. I'm the unfortunate owner of 4 their Sharpe series DVDs. The picture quality is no better than a bad VHS tape. I would rather hold on to my money and wait for a decent DVD, even if that means never getting Blake's 7 (or Sharpe) on DVD.

10. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

The Region 2 disks are believed to be delayed indefinitely. The apparent problem is that the rights to the series have been formally sold to the group trying to make the TV-Movie/animated series/etc., B7 Enterprises. They are holding up the DVDs for unclear reasons right now. B7 Enterprises' Managing Director Andrew Mark Sewell made a statement a few weeks ago which can be read here:

http://www.blakes7.com/bb/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259

Since I think that you will need to register to read the post, I will give you the key points.