Blah!! Gator slithered its way onto my computer.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott L, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

How did it happen? I run a tight ship on my puter then all of a sudden I go into msconfig and see "Gstartup" and "CMEsys" sitting there mocking me, checked and currently running. I didn't spot them about a week ago when I did another check and in that time I installed Kazaalite. I always stayed away from Kazaa because I've heard it has spyware but I was told lite is a hacked version that takes out that stuff. Any KL users notice those programs?
    Even worse Gator won't let me run the uninstaller.exe in its root folder. It says I have to go into Add/Remove programs and unistall from there and it gets better; the program doesn't even show up. [​IMG] Looks like I'll have to do it the hard way and delete everything I can find in the registry. What fun.
    Anyone else get pissed at how companies deliberately do this? I give Gator two [​IMG] [​IMG] down.

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

If you install kazaalite you still need to edit your hosts file or else the first time you connect to the kazaa network it will download and install software without you asking. The instructions are on the kazaalite web site, but this is what mine looks like:
    127.0.0.1 www.brilliantdigital.com
    127.0.0.1 desktop.kazaa.com
    127.0.0.1 shop.kazaa.com
    127.0.0.1 www.bonzi.com
    127.0.0.1 www.b3d.com

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Awesome! [​IMG] Thanks for the info Mike. Here's the full skinny from their site.
    I also got Adware to do the "uninstalling" for me. Deleted everything but the Cydoor dummy files. I wish they would tell us more about the "Supertrick Setup" as they call it. Oh well that's why we have this forum. [​IMG]

4. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

After reading this I thought I'd run Ad-aware and check myself. Sure enough that $%%@$ parasite was on my machine too. I have found that running Audio Galaxy will install gator but I thought I had cleared it off the last time I ran Audio Galaxy.