What's new

Bladerunner SE 4 Versions ?!!! on 3 DVD's ?!!! (1 Viewer)

Mark E J

Second Unit
I believe Charles De Lauzirika has stated before on some thread that if it was up to Ridley Scott you would have multiple versions of BR. But unfortunately it's not up to him. So I guess those specs are what Mr. Scott wants, but it it'll be up to WB wether or not you'll see it.

the only reason I am skeptical is for a Three Disc set to include 4 versions plus extras, seems a bit much.
Actually I think you could easily fit 4 versions on 3 DVD's.

The only real diffrence between the theatrical and director versions is the voiceover, one additional scene, and one removed scene. That should be a piece of cake to seamless branch. As for the workprint I think you could probably simply branch the extra footage on to the theatrical/director's cut you already have. That's one disc.

Then present the "final director's vision" cut on the other disc with whatever commentary and audio tracks you want. Two discs.

Then put all the extras on a seperate disc. Three discs.

Here's hoping WB will to the right thing.

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I'm hopeful for these specs. I LOVE the way Terminator 2 and the Abyss has multiple versions of a film on one disc (seemless branching) and it never ceases to amaze me how other directors don't do it. Movies like Star Trek the Motion Picture, the Goonies, the Phantom Menace, and many others could have just as easily put the original cuts on the same disc with the seemless branching. I do hope that Blade Runner is all 4 versions, however they do it, and has plenty of extras, especially the commentary.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Oh Boy!
Can't WAIT to see the "Happy" ending from the theatrical, director "disapproved" cut with the hideous voice-over and the aerial shots which were, ahem...
FROM "THE SHINING"!!!!! Warner just used leftover footage shot by Kubrick's 2nd unit!!!
So, suddenly, the Overpopulated, overpolluted future is just.... pristine!!!
I'm sure Ridley and Harrison were SQUIRMING in their seats during those 1st previews!!!!!!
:) D

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
My vote has always been for the Original Theatrical Version (with the few extra seconds of gore-and 'happy' ending)

Add to that the REAL Directors Cut being worked on NOW, and you have a Cinematic Monument to the Ages...

The so-called DC of 1992 was really just a quickie job to get the film back into theaters with some kind of "New!-Improved!" tagline added to draw the curious, as WB had just been granted full theatrical and HV rights.

IF that version is not included, no tears shed here...

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
This could not be better, especially if the European version edits are included in the new cut. Excellent word. I'm sold no matter what.

NickT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
I can't wait for this special edition to come out. BR was one of the first dvds I bought and I've always been disapointed with it's video and audio quality. To get this movie in anamorphic as well as at least DD 5.1 would be enough for me, let alone having the original with the voice over. I've been waiting for this for years.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I just want to go on record as saying that I enjoyed the narration and felt it added to the film. However, as a completist I look forward to owning multiple versions. :)
"It's too bad she won't live"

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
as well as at least DD 5.1 would be enough for me, let alone having the original with the voice over.
You're in luck, Ridley Scott was interviewed by Empire magazine and he noted that Skywalker Sound were remixing the film. (Here's to a nice DD5.1EX surround track, with original DPL track on the original theatrical/director's cut versions.)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Glad to see so many who like the original theatrical version. It seems I won't have to buy this on (gulp) VHS, afterall.

Raymond Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
The first time i saw the movie was the 1992 DC....since it was the only version stores had for rental/sale.
It was great that it was only released in WS(only P&S version i've seen of it is on the dvd!)...but i thought the movie was a bore & huge let-down. Of course i was only 12 at the time,but still.
So i finnaly found a copy of the uncut 1982 version with all the violence intact. To my amazement..i actually liked the film now. It wasn't boring at all + very interesting. The voice over helped add that film-noir atmosphere to the film i thought was lacking in the DC..sure some of it sounds corny,explains to much..but i loved the VO durring Batty's death..that was great & made the scene much more sadder & deep that the DC.
The only thing i hated about the film..as seeing it in P&S(looks horrible) & the 'happy' ending. Really cheesy & out of place. I love how the DC ends with the elevator doors slamming shut,it's really powerful!
From reading the great book on the making of the film by Paul Sammon. It mentions that at least 4 different narations where recorded & even the crew ect liked certain ones over the other!...but the studio chose the 'worst' one and thats whats in the original 1982 version. So after taking that into consideration,the current VO is pretty good but alittle to corny at parts..& maybe the other narrations are even better?
Still i prefer the film with VO & it would be great if the alternate VO's were included on the disc!
I do have the dvd & have watched the movie as it is now-without VO. It's a good movie,but just not the same.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I would be thrilled to get the 92 cut (my fav), the 82 cut (first I saw), and would consider the new cut as an extra.

Sounds like a good potential package with just those 3 and some extras. Warner has a big seller waiting to go as soon as they get it out, that's for sure.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Glad to see so many who like the original theatrical version.
I'm one of them. I've been clamoring for that cut for quite some time. I'm taking any information on this SE as rumor until I read something official from Warner.

In the meantime, I have the Criterion laser and a copy of it backed up on DVD to hold me over.

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this is true! 4 versions on three discs is very cool indeed (and yes that is possible...just look at T2). Of course, my dream director's cut would be this:
-WS presentation (:D)
-DTS 6.1 and DD EX 5.1
-All of the extra violence (the scene when Batty pushes Tyrell's eyes and we see them bleed as if we were looking through Batty's eyes is enough for me!!!
)
-HF's voice over (yes, it was not approved by Ridley nor Harrison and it is cheesy, but it makes the film more intresting in a way)
-The ending where Deckard and Rachel go into the elevator and when they close, the credits start

-Also, maybe some scenes from the workprint version, such as the "Webster's dictionary 2010 term for replicant" and Batty's phone call.
Things that I hope would NOT be on my dream director's cut:
-That cheesy unicorn scene from the DC.
-The ending where Deckard and Rachel go into the elevator and when they close, we see them drive off and the narration tells us that she was a special replicant and then the credits roll while outtake footage of The Shining is shown

Hopefully Ridley Scott's final director's cut will be similar to the above wish list.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
I read that Empire article yesterday. I think Scott mentioned that Skywalker Sound really wants to do it - I don't think their involvement in the project has been finalized.
OK my two cents:
Producer-butchered recut. said:
I just recently re-watched the Criterion/Euro/theatrical version and I felt just the opposite. The narration stinks! The content of the narration is second-rate material at best and Ford's delivery is flat and uninspired (supposedly done on purpose and in protest). The vogue now is to say that the VO is supposed to be that of a "tired and weary" Bladerunner... give me a break. Even my wife, who had never experienced the '82 version, thought it was badly read!
Oh, and the VO during Batty's death was part of Scott's version. It was present in the WP, but was a much better chunk of dialogue better read by Ford. What ended up in the '82 version is part of the crap that the Producer's hurled into the film to try to "save" it.
The only reason the '82 version should be included is as a record of the harm the producers inflicted on the film. That's why I appreciate Criterion's inclusion of the god-awful Brazil TV cut.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Right on Patrick!!!!!!
:) Yeah, let's get a REAL good version of the 90 minute TV cut of "Brazil" next!!!!!
Sheesh....!!!!

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
All I can say is that I love BR and cant wait for whatever they give us. Im sure it will be special indeed. :)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
what you guys want is the Producer-butchered recut...The only reason the '82 version should be included is as a record of the harm the producers inflicted on the film.
What I want is part of film history. Blade Runner became part of film history in it's original release.

As the second release of Blade Runner has shown, the phrase "Director's Cut" doesn't always mean what it implies. Very few directors have final cut, and even when labeled a DC, there has often been some concessions/compromise. Since the second release was really just an approximation of the director's intent, using your logic, the second release shouldn't even be included, except as a historical document.

If you want to call it the "producer-butchered recut", so be it. As long as it is included, I'll be happy. And I'll just call it the original release.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks