What's new

Bladerunner SE 4 Versions ?!!! on 3 DVD's ?!!! (1 Viewer)

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
From the Los Angeles 2019 Bladerunner Site:
http://www.tyrell-corporation.pp.se
2002-03-05 - Swedish Scott Interview
Swedish tv channel "4" had an interview with the man himself, Ridley Scott in their movie show "Bionytt" in February. I "managed" to miss the show (even on the re-run) but Niklas Hermansson from the alt.fan.blade-runner newsgroup was kind enough to pass the information onto the newsgroup.
In the interview, Ridley Scott briefly talked about the upcomming "Special Edition" and what we can expect, this is what they are planning.
3 Discs
The 3 discs would include the most known versions of the movie, these are.
Workprint
1982 "Theatrical" release
The old "Directors Cut"
A new re-cut, final "Directors Cut"
In the interview, Ridley also says that we also can expect interviews and artwork. The specifications are not yet final, but I think that we also can expect a direcors commentary track.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I'm skeptical, as something like this has never been done... I mean 4 versions.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
That sounds like a good idea to me. :)
For films like this where there have been multiple versions made available at different times, this is how they should be handled. Two big thumbs up if this turns out to be true.
Now, if we could convince a certain other director to do this with his films *cough* George *cough*.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
This makes me very happy. I've been dreading the release of this DVD (yes dreading) because I've heard that it would most likely not have the theatrical edition.

If it's truly released like this, I'll be lining up for it.

Jeff

Mick Wright

Second Unit
Unprecedented probably, but not entirely unlikely. Ridley Scott mentioned before a recent BR screening that they were considering a three disc set. It sounds like they're going to include as many versions as possible. If that's the case, I can't wait.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I can't wait for the theatrical cut. My Dad said it was pretty good. I'd like to see it.

Bjoern

Auditioning
It seems that I might finally get a replacement for my old P&S VHS version of the 1982 voiceover version. I never could get along with the directors cut.

If the information holds...

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
John, why are you skeptical if they do this? I think it's absolutely fantastic. It will probably be 2 versions on each of the 2 first discs, using seamless branching where applicable.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Now, what about the European cut that was on home video, and has extra violence not found in the US cut or the 1992 director's cut. It seems to me that "seamless branching" could be used for this. Lets hope this actually happens.

Neil

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Id prefer 3 different releases labeled to identify which one it is.Instead Im gonna pay for a 3 disc set which includes 2 versions Ill never watch(If I dont like the new redone dir cut).

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I wouldn't say multiple versions is completely unprecedented. Remember the just annoucned specs for Beauty and the Beast...3 versions on that, though granted one of the three is just with a new sequence added in, but still 3 nonetheless.....

StevenA

Second Unit
This does not sound credible to me. The "workprint" uses music cues from other films as I recall, so rights issues would likely be a nightmare.
Also, the so-called "director's cut" was not really that, and has already been released. I see little chance (and little point) in that being released again.
Call me a skeptic if you like ;)

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
the only reason I am skeptical is for a Three Disc set to include 4 versions plus extras, seems a bit much.

Maybe on a 5 disc set....

Plus no company has ever put that many versions of one movie on one release.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Depending on what the changes are, four versions is not unreasonable using seamless branching. I don't think I'd keep my hopes up for the added violence (unless it's part of the "new directors cut"). Other than getting to see more gore, I doubt it added much to the story.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This has to be the most long-rumored SE in history. We were talking about this way back when I first joined HTF in the summer on 1999.

I will purchase this in a heartbeat. Now, if only Warner would make it available.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I really hope they don't use a snapper for this and slip the extra discs in sleeves such JFK.

Raymond Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this is true!
btw...the violence wasn't cut for ratings reasons..but to please test audiences & critics who panned the film. Of course cutting the violence,adding a(really bad) happy ending + to some extent voice over(which i liked!..but it could've been better for the obvious reasons) didn't help.
So i don't see why the 'original 1982 theatrical version' could'nt have the additional violence in place as that was the only difference between it & the European cut.
Frankly i think the cuts lessoned the impact of various scenes & hope they are restored.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks