What's new

Blade (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I still continue to like this show. Even though Blade himself sucks. Judging by the promo for next week:
we are going to learn more about Blade's past... Including Whistler

Did anyone else think is was really cheesy to have Chase still smoking when she arrived back in Detroit? I mean, come on. It had to take a day or so to get her there, how would she still be smoking?

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

I'm starting to not mind Sticky so much. The fighting last night was better, although Blade still needs to develop into more of a badass especially with lower level vamps like on the train and in the sewer.

Krista's takeout of the hit squad was pretty slick.

The plot and the liquid answered some questions and raised new ones. Good move there.

The little girl head of Carthon house seems a tribute/takeoff on the girl in Interview with a Vampire. She doesn't pull it off quite so well though. I still get the impression of a kid trying to sound like an adult.

I'd be surprised if they actually filmed in Europe, but it gave the episode a not-low-budget feel to set some of it there. I agree that there were some timing issues with how fast people were getting back and forth from Detroit to Germany.

Also on the budget, the PQ of this is surprisingly good. I zoom the widescreen picture and even on my 57" screen, it still looks pretty good. I have directv and when I blow up battlestar galactica, it looks like crap, especially the space scenes and dark scenes. I would think the same would hold true for the dark scenes in Blade, but pleasantly surprised. I wonder if Spike has some way to make the show look better that SciFi does not?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
having caught everything except wed's ep, i'd have to say it's a stinker =. just watching it until it cancels.

you guys are right the actor for blade stinks.

there's a lot of decent ideas to explore in a vampie TV series... but i don't think it's done well enough to make it a classic TV series. it's just another TV series.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
This show is gaining steam for me. The story is evolving well.

The fact that the woman vampire who tailed Krista assumed that Blade's serum was Marcus's secret plot was a nice touch. Krista has to take her out since she knows where Blade's lair is. Nice shots of Krista breaking in there.

The Blade backstory with Whistler and his dad was pretty cool. The fighting is getting better, though the scene with young Eric taking out the guys robbing his chess buddy were better than some of Blade's scenes. Might've just been the lighting during daylight.

The child vampire and the baby -- not sure I needed to see that. Definitely an 'ugh' moment.

One thing I didn't like was that Krista's uncle in the first scene in her mother's bedroom didn't say: 'wtf happened to your face?'

They are at a crossroads with the FBI agent and the woman vampire and Krista's mom. Looking forward to next week.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
This week's episode was my first of the series and I enjoyed it more than I expected. I agree with the majority that the actor who plays Blade is weak, but the rest of the cast is solid enough to distract from his lack of talent.

The flashback scenes were quite fun. I loved the part where the young Blade gets an Avengers comic book as a gift. :D The other plot with the Krista character turning her mom to save her was handled surprisingly well. Although I kept thinking back to the episode of Buffy where Spike did the same thing.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Yes, this last episode with the Blade flashbacks and Krista's mom was the best so far, IMHO. Now we have a show.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
it's OK, but it still doesn't make the show for me. why? if goyer wants to keep a consistent plot between the trilogy of films and the series... he's not doing a good job because he's fleshing out blade's history. blade's history is supposed to be shrouded in mystery because one of the reasons why blade is so popular on film is because of his immaculate-conception-like birth. they don't really mention his father and his character trait has the archetype of "the man without a name". trying to explore those pockets of mystery destroys blade's cool-ness but doesn't lift him out of B-movie status either to become a drama like Lost or heck even BSG, etc. like trek, they really should move FORWARD instead of backward.

i really don't get all tehse obsessions with prequels and revisionists.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Another very solid episode. The plotline around Krista's mom was a little predictable, but other than that, very solid. Good fight with Krista and the female spying on her. I was wrong when I thought the female vamp believed Blade's serum was what Marcus was working on. Turns out she knew exactly what it was.

Like the storyline with the cop. Slowly putting the pieces together.

Obligatory strip club scene in Vegas and good long shot of Chase's assets. Nice suprise for commercial tv.

Big revelation that Cathon has developed a toxin that affects purebloods only. Neat premise. And Chase continues to excel in playing a supreme bitch when she dupes the pureblood.

It also appears that they cleared up the effects of Blade's serum. It seemed like maybe there was an inconsistency with the first movie where the serum was lethal to vampires. Now they confirmed that it is only lethal if you get it for the first time after you have fed too long.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
isn't spike a paid channel similar to hbo?

anyway, did you guys noticed that they had a heartbeat on the vampie? i thought vampires didn't have a heartbeat?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Spike is basic cable. I'm wondering if their S&P dept. know they are saying 'shit' on the air. While there are no rules against what they can air since they aren't broadcast, usually networks hire someone to do S&P to help keep them out of the bad publicity spotlight. Apparently, not Spike.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

Two things at work here - what they can do and what they are trying to do. Spike has the obvious marketing angle that it is specifically for men, and young men. The anti-lifetime. They embrace and promote that image. so dropping a few cusses and showing cleavage and a booty is right in their wheelhouse. If you're an advertiser on Spike, you already know what you are in for. You paid for that exact demographic.

On the second side, they've not shown much more than NYPD Blue did in the pre-Janet Jackson era, and while they didn't use 'shit', I do remember hearing 'asshole' for the first time on broadcast tv on Blue. They do have the advantage that they have low viewership compared to the broadcast networks, or even channels like TNT. This show seems to be gaining steam so time will tell how far they can keep pushing it. I'll bet that the news that they showed nudity will make its way across the internet and they'll get a bump of young teen boys in the next few weeks.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The show "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" drops the S bomb a lot. I think that is why it (and blade) airs at 10 Pm East.

Southpark had an entire episode devoted to the S bomb. So I think there is no issues with it for a lot of the cable networks.

Besides, I would stop watching Blade and Sunny in Phily is they start to censor them. I would guess a lot of others would as well.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
it's funny how every episode is DLSV all the time. you know the "money" shots are always circled around.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Just to be clear, I have absolutely no problem with any language/nudity/whatever on TV... I just find it odd that in today's climate they push the button so much.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Wow. Last night's ep was good. Real good. I think they are doing a great job with the writing.

They make Marcus much more likable by showing his backstory. They have him preaching to Krista about who her new family is and why there is a strong bond between vamps and the vamps that turned them, as opposed to human reproduction which is just luck of the draw. And then, after all of Marcus' preaching about the connection, the vamp that turned him doesn't even remember it. Just a good all around twist.

And to throw a big wrench in things, Blade now sees that Krista and Marcus are connected.

Little twist, the child vamp's muscle was sent to retrieve 'the girl' and winds up grabbing Chase.

Good fight scene between Marcus and the vamp that killed him. The sfx of him taking the poker out of his chest was very fake looking.

Thought they devoted just the right amount of time to the FBI guy.

The shots of Marcus being tortured by native american vamps -- wasn't it daylight? Wonder if that will be explained.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Finally watched the past 2 episodes last night. Chase's booty shot...mmmmm. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a body double though.

Now, regarding this week's episode, I'm confused about something. They mentioned how pure bloods can't be killed by "infected" vampires (the ones that were turned by other vamps) which is why this weapon that Marcus manufactured was a big deal. But then they show Marcus killing a pure blood with his own hands, without using the weapon. Did I miss something there?

Another thing, I thought Marcus was a great villain (and the actor playing is great btw) but I think that will suffer a bit now by showing his backstory and making more likeable. Can't root for Blade to kill him that much anymore. Maybe the purebloods are the real villains?

BTW, the way that Marcus' wife was killed was hardcore. Raped and bitten to death right in front of him....jeez. Wait...she should've turned into a vampire right? I don't recall seeing that.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
The purebloods can be killed just like any other vampire. From the first Blade movie:

Remember Deacon Frost's slaying of all the purebloods? By sun for the first one, then I think he killed the other leaders of the houses, but it's been a while since I've watched that movie.

Anyway, it seems that the statement about not being able to kill purebloods (made to Marcus iirc) is more a political decision by the empowered purebloods to the subservient infected vampires. The purebloods rule the houses and so they have the authority to impose the law. They are also seemingly stronger than the infected vampires, but not immortal, so the weapon that Marcus has developed should even the strength deficit. At least, that's what makes sense to me.

The killing of Marcus' wife was brutal. I think it's been left open as to what will happen to her.

Marcus is a good villain. I don't have a problem with this ep because it forced the viewer to question some of the 'truths' about the characters. That's fine. It's not a box that the writers won' be able to get out of. Just need to show a little faith in Goyer that he will give it a good resolution. Even moreso than conventional shows, this show needs good villains. No way they give up one like Marcus so easily. I think the main point was to put Krista in the middle of Blade and her vampire 'family.'

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
marcus&krista's blood&guts sex scene was a bit stupid. why? it's one thing to insinuate bloodsucking as highly sexual in the blade trilogy films. goyer has repeatedly made that claim in the bonus features of the 3 movies... but to actually SHOW bloodsucking as part of the sex scene invalidates those claims.

goyer is pretty much debunking many of the rules he made up in the trilogy. good thing the director's got in goyer's way for the first 2 films. look what happened to the 3rd film. when goyer gets his way, it's stupid. same with the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks