What's new

Blade (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I though it was much better than I had expected. I enjoyed the plot twist with the lead lady. I wasn't expecting it.

People need to give a show like this a few episodes before making too many judgements. It will take a while for things to gel.

I am a huge fan of Buffy, but I think that the fight scenes were much better in this new show. After all, they have had a lot of years to improve this sort of thing.

This thread's beginning makes me really think that a lot of folks were against the show from the start. People were passing judgement on the show by just seeing the trailer. Seems like people just wanted to not like this show.

I will give it a few more weeks before condeming it. I think it will be interesting to see how much time Spike TV will give a show like this. Hopefully, they will at least give it a full season. I hope they don't pull a "Fox" on them.

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida

That's standard operating procedure around here. :) You should take a look at the Battlestar Gallactica thread.

I recorded the pilot and will be watching it tonight. Like you, however, I'm going to give it a few episodes before I really decide if it's a keeper or not for me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought it was pretty decent for summer programming on a low-rent cable channel. Blade definitely doesn't have the presence in this show that he did in the films, probably due to the actor that was cast. But I was moderately entertained for 2 hours.

I did find it sort of laughable that it was promoted as being shown with "limited commercial interruption," then proceeded to have just as many commercials from a wide variety of companies like any other program. Not to mention it didn't even run the full 2-hour block it was programmed in. Was the early finish the extra 15 minutes of commercials we were spared?

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I watched a little of this to see the Mercury girl. It didn't seem that bad to me.

~T

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
With something like this it helps to have super-low expectations. I expected the worst and was pleasantly surprised. It's not the greatest show ever but I was entertained for two hours.

If you missed it you can get it for free at iTunes.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

Spike is rerunning it on Saturday at 4p. Maybe some other times as well.

I'm willing to give it a chance. The writing was decent. I thought Goyer really botched Trinity after making one good movie (II) and one great movie (Blade). He also came back ridiculously strong with Batman Begins, so I'll just assume he was distracted while writing Trinity.

Anyway, the story seems good. Looks like there is also a second clan of vampires that we haven't met yet that are worse than the ones we have. The villains were good, although I'm wondering why all of the vamps weren't now given the vaccine since it seems to work. Sticky Jones was good as long as he didn't have to say too many lines all at once. He gave one long speech and it was the only moment that really 'took me out of the show' and back into my house watching tv. His fighting also seemed not too smooth. The girl can't act too well either, but she's good enough, and very easy on the eyes.

I liked that they kept the '68 charger as his car. My parents bought one shortly after I was born and I always liked that car. Is that what he drives in the comics?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
This was actually, surprisingly, pretty good. Way better than Blade 3 and about on the level of Blade 2. The plot was coherent, the script could have been a bit more explanatory since a couple of times characters spew off technical laden explanations of what is going on like the audience has heard of it before. This complaint was brought to you by a die-hard Trekker who loves his technobabble, btw.

Jill Wagner (The Mercury Girl) & Neil Jackson carry this program because the lead actor, Kirk Jones, is a blackhole that sucks all energy out of any frame he appears in. He's the only real negative against the series, imho. It's really a shame that Snipes turned down the chance to reprise the role... it's not exactly like his career is on fire like it was 10 years ago. Other than Mr. Blackhole, the supporting roles are capably filled. One hopes that Randy Quaid will be back someday in the Giles role.

All in all, I'd give the pilot a B. Let's hope the series continues to be as good.

Huh? They went far longer than the average 7 minutes most shows go before they break for commercial. They went almost 25 minutes at the beginning of the program before the first commercial break. Long live the DVR!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It appeared to draw a lot of interest in the pilot. Now they just have to hold on to the audience:

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I finally got a chance to watch this and I must say I was entertained. With all the negative comments at the beginning of this thread (even before the show premiered!), my expectations were kind of low. But it was actually pretty good.

By the way, did you guys notice how the vampires kept saying something like "stay away from the lycans"?? Are they refering to werewolves? Are they going to turn this show into UNDERWORLD? Actually, I wouldn't mind it if they went that route. I love both Underworld movies.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
When did they mention lycans? I also loved both Underworld movies and I didn't catch it. I also deleted it from my tivo, so I'll have to see if they reuse the term tonight.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure I heard them refer to the "lycans" twice during the episode. Can anyone confirm? I hope I'm not losing my hearing. :)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I also heard them mention the lycans.

It had been a long time since I watched any of the Blade movies so I just thought I forgot there were lycans in the movies. Judging by your comments, I would guess there wasnt any.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Oh good, I'm not going crazy then. :)

IIRC, there are no lycans (werewolves) in the Blade movies so this is new for them. But like I said, I love that conflict between lycans and vampires in the Underworld movies so I would welcome that here in the Blade TV series.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I've only watched half of the pilot so far. The story isn't too bad I can see myself getting into it. Biggest complaint is Blade himself, or moreso the actor playing him. He looks like a punk boy who rented a halloween costume that is too big for him. He just does not fit the part at all. He's short, no neck and stocky. Even Wesley Snipes is only 5'10" but he has a presense that this bloke does not, and the costume fits and Wesley can actually move and shows speed.

Is it too late to recast? :D

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Watched the second episode. I'm liking it a bit more now. Plenty of cheesy moments, but I like the story and it is keeping me interested.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I also have been liking it. It has earned a few more weeks of viewing. I was sad to see:

The big bad uber-vamp get killed so easily. I was hoping he was going to become a recurring threat

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
The vamps are what make this show interesting and entertaining. By focusing more on Krista they take the focus of Jones' bland portrayal of Blade (which was slightly better in the second ep). I'm really digging the serial nature of the program and Jill Wagner is a fairly decent actress.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I liked the vampire ash storyline. I laughed out loud when they went to their opperation with the rap music pumping and showed them making the stuff. It was just a funny image.

I was surprised to see Fritz killed so easily too. He could have been a good threat to carry on. His bodybag scene was pretty funny.

So this is supposed to take place before the movies right or is it completely seperate from the movies and doing its own thing? Still haven't seen anything to officially state one way or the other.

The way Blade keeps getting his butt kicked in fights would seem like it is his early years.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

It's been stated in articles online that the series is set post-Trinity. Maybe down the road they could get the Whistlers to guest star?

From IGN TV:

IGN TV: Do you see this taking place in the same continuity/universe as the films? Will there be direct references to the films and maybe mentions of characters like Deacon Frost and Whistler?

David S. Goyer: It does take place in the same continuity as the films, though it is designed as a new jumping-off point for people who have not seen the previous movies. And yes, we will mention characters that have appeared in the movies. We mention King, Abigail, Whistler, the House of Erebus (the house that Dragonetti and Frost were part of). And we will eventually delve into some sub-plots from the movies. We will be dealing with Frost's legacy in season 2. You may see the Reapers again. A few other characters. We can also go into the past, so there is that avenue open to us as well.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like they are in the same universe but they don't really explain when they are in that quote. Are they dealing with Frost and his plans leading up to the first movie in season 2? Or just cleaning up after the climax from the first movie? And if it is taking place after the movies, well then Blade has really lost his touch. He gets his ass kicked by just about everyone and has a hard time keeping is motorcycle from wobbling down the road. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks