BLADE: sound formats question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David D. C., Apr 4, 2002.

1. David D. C.

David D. C. Stunt Coordinator

i just watch blade and the audio format was "dobly digtal 5.1 home theatre surround sound" thats word for word

the was no separtion in the rear speakers. only the music played from the rears and some sounds were very very fant from the center speaker( like gun shots )and some sounds did not come through at all.

is this sound format the same as dobly digtal? i've play movies that state "dobly digtal" and they sound much better then this "dobly digtal 5.1 home theatre surround sound"

is there a difference? sure sounds different

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Blade has both Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital 2.0 (listed as "stereo surround" on the packaging) audio tracks available. Are you sure you selected the 5.1 track? What you described sounds like a bad pro-logic mix or incorrect equipment settings. The blade 5.1 mix is generally considered pretty impressive, so you defintiely weren't hearing the maximum potential the disc has to offer....

3. David D. C.

David D. C. Stunt Coordinator

my dvd player has a built in digtal decorder and my reciever has the inputs for it i understand what you have said and yes i selected the 5.1 format i thought about equipment settings to, so i put in gladiator and it sounds great with the same settings. im lost would it have anything to do with the fact that i got blade from columbia house?

4. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

no the CH disc is the same one you buy is stores

I'm not sure why your disc would sound the way you're describing it, other than if you were listening to the 2.0 track (which is decoded as Pro-logic). If the disc allows, try switching audio tracks on the fly

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    My first post years ago was about the lack of gunshot sounds in Blade on the DD 5.1 track. I thought something was wrong with my Sony receiver or DVd player and tried it on a few different setips, all with the same result. I can't imagine it being deliberate because it sounds way too distracting and the DD 2.0 track is fine.
    Those of you that have it and are 5.1 enabled, listen for yourself as you can switch the audio on the fly. A perfect scene is in the disco in the beginning. Almost all the gunshots sounds are muffled in the 5.1 center channel but sound fine in 2.0.[​IMG]

7. SHAWN SZILEZY

SHAWN SZILEZY Stunt Coordinator

It is funny this topic came up. I just watched Blade the other night and chose my DVD copy instead of my DTS LD copy. That was a big mistake! The image is only slightly better but the audio is lacking to say the least. The mix on the LD is one of the best that can be had. I am sure all of my HT friends are sick of me playing it on demo nights. As you can see by my signature, I am a huge fan of Blade. Do yourself a favor, if you own a LD player, get this disc. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Of course, the 'getting a laserdisc player' part is the easy bit. Finding DTS Blade is rather more of a challenge...

9. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Having compared the LaserDisc and DVD, I don't think any statement that the DVD looks only slightly better is correct. The difference is significant, especially when viewing the DVD on a widescreen progressive scan monitor.

I've never had a problem with the soundtrack's gunshots in the opening slaughterhouse disco scene, although there's no doubt they lack the impact of gunshot effects in other films. I thought it made a nice acoustic change from the assembly-line gunshot effects used in most films, much like the film's green tinting made an interesting visual change.

Adam