What's new

Blade Runner to get Sequels and Prequels (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/alcon-plotting-blade-runner-prequels-and-sequels/

Somehow this seems like a Highlander2 type idea.

LOS ANGELES, CA, MARCH 3, 2011—Warner Bros-based financing and production company Alcon Entertainment (“The Blind Side,” “The Book of Eli”) co-founders and co-Chief Executive Officers Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove, in the most significant property acquisition negotiations in the Company’s 13-year history, are in final discussions to secure film, television and ancillary franchise rights to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic 1982 science-fiction thriller “Blade Runner.”

Alcon is negotiating to secure the rights from producer-director Bud Yorkin, who will serve as producer on “Blade Runner” along with Kosove and Johnson. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will co-produce. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers.

Alcon’s franchise rights would be all-inclusive, but exclude rights to remake the original. The Company, however, may produce projects based on situations introduced in the original film. The project would be distributed domestically by Warner Bros. International rights are yet to be determined.

Johnson and Kosove stated: “We are honored and excited to be in business with Bud Yorkin. This is a major acquisition for our company, and a personal favorite film for both of us. We recognize the responsibility we have to do justice to the memory of the original with any prequel or sequel we produce. We have long-term goals for the franchise, and are exploring multi-platform concepts, not just limiting ourselves to one medium only.”

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Except for using the title "Blade Runner," didn't the recent Battlestar Galactica series already do this?

The sad thing is they do not state anywhere in the press release that they have a great story idea or even a mediocre story idea that would justify going forward or backwards in the Blade Runner universe. I'm not saying that another great Blade Runner film couldn't be made but this press release really sounds like they are putting the cart before the horse.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Another instance of emphasizing brand recognition over originality, the mark of marketers and bean counters in charge of a "creative" enterprise.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
One of the things I cherish about BLADE RUNNER is that it is (so far) one of a kind. This sequel crap is way beyond unimaginative and redundant. It is a symptom of what our society has become: a bunch of predictable drones who are adverse to taking risks or being the least bit adventuresome. Our complacency is alarming. The movies aspect is small potatoes... this counterproductive attitude is everywhere now, such as media and politics and education. Critical thinking (well, thinking in general) seems to be a thing of the past. Pray for Rosemary's (and every else's) baby.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Remember one thing Dick, Hollywood and movie making is not about fresh ideas or taking risks, it's about making money. Once you accept that these types of sequels, prequels and remakes will be easier to accept.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, of course, what you say is true, but what this does is make commercial film-making in our country much less of an option for aspiring indie artists who wish to add a new voice rather than echo one that's been screaming at us for decades. The BBS Story box set from Criterion is a reminder of the days when studios actually encouraged this sort of project. Not all of those films were great, either, but at least they were.... unique.

Originally Posted by Ron-P

Remember one thing Dick, Hollywood and movie making is not about fresh ideas or taking risks, it's about making money. Once you accept that these types of sequels, prequels and remakes will be easier to accept.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
It's not just what the studios want (to make more money), audiences seem to crave worlds that they can be immersed in through sequels, expanded upon in books, comics, games, TV series, etc. You'd have to be crazy to ignore that.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
They find a book or short story or maybe a spec script that can be adapted to the Blade Runner universe and then they'll consider whether to make a it prequel or sequel. There won't be much dialog or exposition for the foreign market. Then they'll take a videogame in development and make that the BR game (if you unlock a certain achievement, you get to play as Deckard!). If it's PG-13 (which I will bet it will be) they can market action figures.

They always put the cart before the horse with franchises like this. The horse is immaterial to what they can stuff into the cart.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Hanson, there are already three official sequel books, written by K. W. Jeter. Not that I'm recommending them, I'm just saying that they exist.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Dick

Well, of course, what you say is true, but what this does is make commercial film-making in our country much less of an option for aspiring indie artists who wish to add a new voice rather than echo one that's been screaming at us for decades. The BBS Story box set from Criterion is a reminder of the days when studios actually encouraged this sort of project. Not all of those films were great, either, but at least they were.... unique.

A big part of the BBS Story, as told in books like "Easy Riders & Raging Bulls", is that the studios were all floundering and bleeding cash since the old guard were out and no one was replacing them. Which is a good reason to take a chance on independent and new, younger voices. That said, I'll take a lame "Blade Runner" prequel/sequel over a precious, self important art film like "A Safe Place" any day. The studios aren't bleeding cash, they are placing sure bets: Familiar movies to put asses into seats. The free market will decide over time if this will continue to work. I don't see it ending anytime soon.

Provided Harrison Ford isn't in it, I'd be interested in these. It might be blasphemy around here, but the guy has either smoked his brains out or just went senile. He's been terrible in the movies for a while now. Hopefully "Cowboys & Aliens" changes that, but I'm not holding my breath.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm for it. as long as they are side stories and not a sequel with someone else playing Deckard. It's a big universe and with a big budget and 3D it could be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks