What's new

Blade Runner SE Question (1 Viewer)

DennisP

Stunt Coordinator
My question is regarding a Blade Runner SE. Originally I was going to purchase the Director's Cut when I heard that a SE was being released. I thought I would wait for the SE as the Director's Cut was bare bones. When I read that the SE was pretty expensive and it included posters and lots of packaging I decided not to buy it.

Is there going to be a release of Blade Runner with a re mastered Video and DTS sound with extras like.."Making of"..Commentary, outtakes...story boards etc. secheduled to be released in the future or is what's out there all we can expect?

Is the SE that's out there..the same cut of the original DVD or has it been re-issued with better video and different sound options?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Is the SE that's out there..the same cut of the original DVD or has it been re-issued with better video and different sound options?
The DVD itself is the exact same one as the regularly available DVD, it just comes in a special box with whatever little goodies. Warner has done this with a few of their titles, but the DVD itself remains the same.

DJ

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps with Ridley Scott's clout (and seeing as how Scott Free Productions usually does special editions of his films), they will be able to put a DTS track on the upcoming super deluxe edition.

Heck he even got MGM to put DTS on Hannibal!

Dan

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Recently, promoting the Black Hawk Down DVD, Scott gave us an idea of what'd be on there:
"DVD Review Magazine: I understand you're working on Blade Runner as well, is that correct?
RS: Yeah, that's done. That'll come out probably, I hope, as a three-disc pack which will have cut one, which is 79, cut two is 81, and then the version now which will have certain additions and the removal of the voice-over. In there, one of the discs covers all kinds of interviews, which are really interesting. I don't know how they managed to dig in to all of that old material and find all of these people, some in the woodwork. So, that was fascinating. It's sort of like a manual or library inside the disc."
http://www.dvdtalk.com/scottbruckheimer.html
So it's 3 cuts. I suppose he left out the 1992 Director's Cut. Either he doesn't like it or he doesn't want it to be confused with his final cut.

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, it is my understanding that the 'Directors Cut' that was released in '92, did not contain all of the changes Ridley wanted, due to WB wanting to rush it out...so we actually got an incomplete version of the DC, thus the 3rd version mentioned will be the intended DC.

Any word on it's status? Last I heard was legal problems...oh those pesky rumors!

Later

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Ridley said:-
which will have cut one, which is 79, cut two is 81, and then the version now
eh? :confused: I'm a fan, although not a hard-core one, so I know all about the theatrical release with Ford's "reluctant" voice-over added by the suits, and of course the Director's Cut of 92 which removed it. and as Jim says above, presumably Scott doesn't consider his 92 Director's Cut a Final Cut, so this won't be included but will be "updated" to the Final 2002 Cut.
but what's this about a "79" cut and an "81" cut? presumably rleased in 1979 and 1981, although I thought BR came out in 1982? were there two different theatrical cuts?

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Yeah, I'm also confused about a "79" cut and a "81" cut?????

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Maybe he made a mistake. I suppose the '81 cut is the theatrical.

The '79 is the work print. It's a different cut of the film that hasn't gotten too many viewings. Here are a few details from IMDb:

The infamous workprint briefly resurfaced, by accident, for a one-week engagement (1/15 - 1/21) at the Seattle, WA Landmark Egyptian Theater in 1999. However, this print was the one-of-a-kind 70mm blow-up, directly from Warner Bros.' vault! There are some additional differences (that have not been reported) between this version and the other "regular" versions:

Sound was mixed in 6-track Dolby Stereo, and contained numerous differences in sound effects, music, and dialogue as compared to the standard 35mm 5-track mixes.

Opening shots did not include close-up and subsequent pull-aways from Holden's eye as he looks out the window, it simply cut closer and closer to the Tyrell Corp. building until the interior could be seen. All the while, air-traffic control headings can be heard being issued during the sequence (it was originally edited to suggest a view from a spinner as it flies toward the Tyrell Corp.).

After Leon fires on Holden and Holden crahes through the wall, hitting the table, the shot stays on Holden as fan blades brush his hair and his back smokes from the gunfire.

Deckard's meal at "THE WHITE DRAGON" can be seen being laid on the bar in front of him, rather than merely being heard.

No narration during the scene where Deckard awaits a seat at "THE WHITE DRAGON", but the blimp's advertisement is un-altered in the background (unlike in the "Director's Cut", where it WAS altered to cover the narration over).

When Deckard and Gaff inspect Leon's address and the attendant opens his room for them, he says, "Kowalski", indicating the current tenant. Kowalski is Leon's "last name".

Roy does not ask Chew, "Now...where would we find this J. F. Sebastian?"; the scene merely cuts to Deckard driving home.

When Deckard plays the piano in a depressed stupor: a)there is no unicorn vision, b) there is no background music, and c) we hear the one or two notes Harrison Ford actually played on the set.

Deckard's search for Abduul Hasaan lasts longer: we see more of Animoid Row and the back streets of the sector.

After Zhora attacks Deckard and flees, we see Deckard loosen his tie from his throat...as if he was nearly beheaded!

"If I Didn't Care", by the Ink Spots, was originally heard in the background when Deckard purchases a bottle of Tsing Tao.

In Deckard's apartment, there originally was no "Love Theme" as we all know and love; the initial music track merely continues on longer. Also, Rachel plays a different selection on the piano when testing herself; it actually was the sheet music we see displayed!

When Roy kills Tyrell, the footage of Tyrell dying was more in tone with the International Version (yet still somewhat tamer) and Roy then turns to Sebastian saying, "I'm sorry, Sebastian. Come. COME", as he stalks J.F.

Bryant's info to Deckard over the CB about Tyrell's and Sebastian's deaths are heard as we see Deckard driving through the tunnel. When Deckard is parked in his sedan on the street, he is merely preparing to call J.F.'s apartment before the police spinner interrogates him.

We actually see Roy break Deckard's fingers, in close up, with a prop-hand.

More shots of Deckard as he hangs on to the nieghboring building for dear life, after "jumping the gorge".

Different, farther-away shots of Roy as Deckard watches him die. Alternate narration was placed here (the only narration in this version), which consisted of this: "I watched him die all night. It was a long, slow thing and he fought it all the way. He never whimpered and he never quit. He took all the time he had as though he loved life very much. Every second of it...even the pain. Then, he was dead."

No shots of the "rolling TV monitors" in Deckard's apartment as he searches for Rachel. The shot merely continues, close up on Deckard, from the opening shot of the sequence, until he reaches down to pull the covers from over Rachel.

No end credits, merely exit music: the same cue heard as Gaff takes Deckard to see Bryant at the opening.

Warner Bros. originally was preparing a technically updated version of the 70mm workprint to release as the "Director's Cut", but Ridley Scott and Michael Arick quickly prepared a revised theatrical version without narration, the tacky happy ending, and plus one unicorn vision. This edition was so quickly rushed into shape, that Ridley Scott still feels it falls short of his true director's cut.

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
The film was originally released in 1982. I believe they didn't start shooting until 1981, perhaps late 1980.

The disc was originally said to be released later this year, as it is the 20th anniversary. Due to rumored legal probs, the disc is unlikely to make it this year.

later

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
I love the movie and I just bought the DVD. Waiting for this rumored SE just doesn't make sense, or does it?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No, it doesn't make sense--especially if you love the film. At least enjoy the current DVD now, biding your time until the super-duper edition arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks