What's new

Blade runner - Please!! (1 Viewer)

I think we can all agree that Blade Runner is way over due for a make over in video and sound. I put the old release of it on my HD/5.1 setup and it looks and sounds terrible. What a crying shame! It is such a classic great movie that it should be on the top of the list, considering that Ridley's Gladiator was best picture.
Please leave your messages of support for this noble cause.
patriot.gif

------------------
Stephen C. Coghill
www.mp3.com/VIRTUALOGIC
www.mp3.com/DIGITALDOMAINmusic

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Stephen, I believe this is indeed in the works, and will eventually be released when its ready. I think the current rumour is sometime next year, but no more definite than that. With the team at Scott Free on it I think we can rest assured that whatever comes out will be very nice indeed.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully it wont be a case like the eternally delayed Legend SE.
I wouldnt say Blade Runner looks terrible but the technology is better than it was a mere 4 years ago and this title (one of my personal top 10)deserves topnotch treatment.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

I hope they decide to bring back the original version with the "Legend" unicorn scene removed and the ending restored to it's original state. Also the narration by Harrison Ford that was removed in the directors cut, was necessary for people who have never seen the movie before.
What do you guys think?
------------------
Stephen C. Coghill
www.mp3.com/VIRTUALOGIC
www.mp3.com/DIGITALDOMAINmusic

Matthew_S

Second Unit
Stephen,
I think if you put more ***'s and !!!'s in your subject line next time, Warner might take notice and release this sooner.
:)
[Edited last by Matthew_S on October 22, 2001 at 10:35 AM]

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
I hope they decide to bring back the original version with the "Legend" unicorn scene removed and the ending restored to it's original state. Also the narration by Harrison Ford that was removed in the directors cut, was necessary for people who have never seen the movie before.
I didn't like the unicorn scene. However, I disliked the original ending and the narration. Even watching the movie as a kid in the theatres I thought the narration was superfluous. Harrison Ford just seemed like he was restating the obvious all the time.
We all have our personal preferences, but I personally think overall the Director's Cut is better. Ideally a new version should have both versions in a multi-disc set, with a cleaned-up print, in anamorphic widescreen. No need for P/S since the J6P can continue to purchase the cheaper version which has P/S.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I think the unicorn scene is silly and unnecessary. Its removal would be for the best, IMO. However, I do like the "new" ending. Keep it in! I can do without the narration even though it never bothered me that much. Just give us a choice on that one. Well, that's what I think!
BTW, welcome to the HTF! :)
------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member

The studio inserted the narration, not Ridley Scott. I doubt you'll ever see it again on any director-approved version. That said, I believe there has been talk of seamless branching the disc so that the theatrical/Studio produced director's/and TRUE director's cut are available
I've only seen the director's cut version, and I have never had a problem understanding the film
Jeff Kleist

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
I hope they decide to bring back the original version with the "Legend" unicorn scene removed and the ending restored to it's original state.
I think it bears repeating that Deckard's unicorn dream is not from "Legend." It was shot specifically for "Blade Runner" in 1982, a couple years before "Legend" even began principal photography.
As for having the original ending restored, well, it already was restored in the 1992 version (the misnamed "Director's Cut.") The original ending is the one where Deckard and Rachael enter the elevator.
If you're referring to the happy ending where Deckard and Rachael drive off into the woods (with outtakes from "The Shining"), that is not the original ending. It was shot after the producers decided that the film needed a more upbeat ending, and was grafted on (along with the narration) to the film's first theatrical release.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Harrison Ford just seemed like he was restating the obvious all the time.
my understanding is that neither harrison nor ridley (yes i'm on first name basis with both...not!) wanted the narration.
supposedly harrison purposely did a "poor" job of narration in an attempt to have the studios leave it out, but that failed.
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
The studio inserted the narration, not Ridley Scott. I doubt you'll ever see it again on any director-approved version. That said, I believe there has been talk of seamless branching the disc so that the theatrical/Studio produced director's/and TRUE director's cut are available
I wonder how that would work. Not only are scenes different, but the dialogue is as well (ie. narration). They'd have to create a new no-narration mix for the upbeat ending, although I guess it wouldn't be that hard.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
For people who would like to really understand what
parts of Blade Runner are in different
versions and why, you should read
Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner
by Paul M. Sammon
The unicorn scene is integral to what happens
at the end of the film with a certain piece of
folded paper and what that implies about Deckard.
While most on this forum love to spout opinions,
and assertions, I sure wish more people would
make an effort to make most of
these INFORMED opinions and assertions.
Mark

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
While most on this forum love to spout opinions,
and assertions, I sure wish more people would
make an effort to make most of
these INFORMED opinions and assertions.
ummm....dude...on behalf of all the UNINFORMED people here, i suggest you relax just a touch...
rolleyes.gif

------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hey Ted-
Point taken and understood. :)
Maybe I should take a chill pill, but
the other side of this is that people claim
to be fans of films like Blade Runner,
but then don't bother to do any MINIMAL research
before stating things like, "Why'd he put that scene
from Legend in Blade Runner?"
Granted, half the reason this forum exists to
to let people share information...I just wish
there wasn't so much MISinformation being spread.
(The Hannibal thread was a good, exasperating example
of this...Poor, Charlie de Lauzirika!)
Too much coffee (on my part), perhaps?
wink.gif

In kind,
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks