What's new

Blade Runner & Legend DVD Updates (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I figured we'd sucker you in here eventually...;)
I'm glad to hear there haven't been any negative revisions, other than the excrutiating wait that is...

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Is this the "Blade Runner" DVD we have been waiting for, or is it the old DVD in a new box with some extra materials added?
13691h.jpg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think that deluxe box uses the original WB DVD of the first DC of Bladerunner. The new one isn't out yet.

luke cav

Stunt Coordinator
I do remember a few years ago watching the less editied version of legend in the uk. The version was slightly more gorey and featured the full Tangerine Dream soundtrack.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
I do remember a few years ago watching the less editied version of legend in the uk. The version was slightly more gorey and featured the full Tangerine Dream soundtrack.
What you probably saw was the Sheinberg cut of Legend. This was the Univeral Studios Televsion syndicated version that ran on independent US stations and in some foreign TV markets.

Sheinberg was the production executive at Universal notorious for his butchered happy ending version of Brazil. Sheinberg had a desire to squeeze as much profit out of a product as possible, regardless of whether it stepped on film maker's toes or not.

For legend, some syndicated markets needed a slightly longer than the original US 89 minute cut (if a film runs too long local stations can always cut it back down again). This required adding back footage to stretch out the run time. Sheinberg took the US cut with the Tangerine Dream score and put back a few extra minutes (approx 3-4) culled from the UK version with the Goldsmith score. When watching this version, one can easily notice new footage when the score music abruptly changes from synth to orchestra and back during some particularly poorly executed edits.

The differences in running time between the two theatrical cuts is actually less than what was added back to the syndicated version . This is because each cut hgad alternate takes/versions of the same sequences. By intercutting footage from both versions, scene extentions were made that padded out running time.

Sheinberg should have simply decided to go with the slightly longer foreign (UK?) theatrical cut of the film with the Goldsmith score (available on my Japanese LD but sadly not letterboxed)and left it with that for syndication. Stations could have easily added more commercials (I can't beleive I just wrote that).

The Brazil Sheinberg saga can be found on the Criterion supplements on both LD and DVD. Suffice it to say that bean counters and films should never be in the same room.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
So it sounds like the original Blade Runner is another casualty of digital revisionism? :frowning:
-Dave

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Dave, ignore the speculations on that BR page and just read the interview with CdL.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Charlie de Lauzirika on the new BR:

"We're digging through boxes and boxes of film elements and material, deleted scenes. Just trying to get a sense of what the scope of this is going to be. I can go five discs on this if I wanted to, because there is a ton of stuff. It's just finding a nice balance that Warner Bros. is happy with and what is not overkill. This is going to be a heavily scrutinized disc. A lot of fans are looking forward to it."
I guess you can't really expect the director of any movie to do a full blown special edition of a version of the film he isn't fully satisfied with.

I, for one, am anticipating this release very much.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Well, if the goal is "to make Ridley happy with the film once and for all", that sounds like the original Blade Runner is dead in the water.

-Dave

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Many here have stated that they hope the Original Cut-Theatical version with VO and 'happy' ending will be included in this set. I hope so.

And I thought I read it somewhere that this would be the case.

You might say the OC is a Historical document. The 1992 "DC" was .....a 'quickie' job, probably to cash in on the fact of the rights moving to Warner from its previous owners. (Embassy?)

Idealy, this set will include *at least* the OC, and the NEW version being crafted by Scott. That would be the true 'Directors Cut'...

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I'm one of those who wanted the original theatrical cut on the DVD. If Ridley Scott wants to do it the way he always wanted it then fine but if your going to make it a 3 disc set then do what Criterion did with Brazil and give us the original, the DC and his "new" cut all together.

Patrick

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I am firmly in the "give us everything" camp. I am always interested in what a director will do with his work, but I also believe that the theatrical presentation should be preserved, even if there are issues with it. I hope this does become a three disc set which contains as many incarnations of the film as possible, and gives a historical perspective as to why each came about, with a definitive version as icing on the cake.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
I am completely confused-
I've been following all the LEGEND threads, and waiting like everyone else-
So, from what I've read, this 2-disc set will have the American theatrical (89min), and European theatrical versions (94min), but NOT the 125 minute directors cut? Though, I read Amazon, and it lists the 89min version as the directors cut? But apparently has the extra 30 minutes seperate?
Well.... to be honest, I'm going to buy it no matter what... Though, I want all 4 versions.... (including the TV version.. just for reference!) In one massive 4-5 disc set!! :)
-nick

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
So, from what I've read, this 2-disc set will have the American theatrical (89min), and European theatrical versions (94min), but NOT the 125 minute directors cut?
As already announced, the upcoming two-disc set will include the 89 min. U.S. Theatrical Version and the 113 min. Director's Cut. It will not include the 94 min. European Version, but those with region-free players are in luck because the European Version will be released on DVD next month in Region 2 (and others) as a mostly bare bones affair. So in essence, three versions of "Legend" will eventually be available on DVD.
As for other versions of "Legend," this is what editor Terry Rawlings told me: The longest cut of the film clocked in at about 140 minutes. This was simply a workprint and was never meant to be shown publicly. Then, after further editing, a 125 minute cut was produced and an answer print was made. Ridley Scott felt the film was still running long, so Ridley and Terry then cut that 125 minute version down to a 113 minute version that Ridley was finally satisfied with. This 113 min. version is the true Director's Cut, and it's this version that will appear on the upcoming R1 DVD from Universal.
As for the TV Hybrid Version...well, the less said about that version, the better. :)

Jo_C

Second Unit
I'd like to stand in Charlie's defense by saying that everything Scott Free has promised in the "Legend" DVD will be delivered. Time will reward.

I hope that we don't have to keep bothering poor Charlie on this DVD. I know you guys have been impatient, just as I have, but projects like this do take time. Trust Scott Free and Universal. It will be out in due time. Whatever long we don't know, but it will be worth all the wait.

On the other hand, I too would like to see the occasional "Legend" threads come to an end soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks