Blade Runner, am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I watched this film the other night for about the fourth time in 15 years and I came to the same conclusion, for me that film just was not great. It was a good film, ahead of its time I would say but the story just did not grab me. I have read threads were many consider this the greatest sci fi film ever. Why?

I understand the premise of the story, Cop is trying to find replecants who are some serious people, the serious people want to save themselves as they have a short lifespan. Cop is trying not to fall in love with a replecant, even though he knows she is fake. Please help, I am not saying the film is not great just I just may not be getting it. What sets this film apart?

2. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Tone, style, vision, acting, insight into the human condition, imagination...

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

...music by Vangelis, locations in L.A. (Bradbury Building, a Frank Lloyd Wright home)..Sean Young before we'd gotten sick to death of her...

4. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Greg,
    It just might not work for you. Great films (to each viewer) generate a strong personal response. If BR didn't, it didn't. It does for many of us though. Different strokes and all that [​IMG]
    I saw about 15-20 minutes of this on SciFi Channel (in widescreen, thank you, SFC), and it blew me away. I am waiting for the BIG DVD (might be a while) to really watch this again, but I was floored by how immersive and poetic it was.
    Visually, it's one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. More importantly, it measures up to the style with meaning and depth. A masterpiece that gets better and better. No dated look on this one at all (or Alien, for that matter).
    Take care,
    Chuck

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>for me that film just was not great. It was a good film,

6. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    It's not the greatest SF film ever made but its in the top 10 IMO.
    Critics have gone gaga over it in recent years, and I've even heard it recently called 'The Citizen Kane of SF'!
    Personally I prefer the original version with the voice over, to the directors cut, its the version I saw at the cinema and I liked the idea of having a Philip Marlowe type voice over in a SF thriller, why not?
    As for Deckard being a replicant, Scott say's he is, while Harrison Ford didn't see his character as a replicant, according to a documentary last year.

You're right Kevin, spoiler added for the few HTF members who haven't seen this film. [​IMG]

7. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Hey Steve, you know better than that. As for Deckard being a replicant, Scott say's he is, while Harrison Ford didn't see his character as a replicant, according to a recent documentary.
    You should put spoilers on a statement/reveal like that.
    Really.

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I just saw it recently for the first time and I liked it a lot, and I agree with Quentin on reasons why I liked it.

Now a couple questions
    If Deckard was a replicant wouldn't he not feel pain? Also, wouldn't he of died like the rest or was he made to be a bladerunner? IMO there is no indication that Deckard was a replicant.

9. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Jeremiah,

That presumes that all of the replicants were made with the same capabilities. The profiles of the replicants at Deckard's briefing, and Rachel's special exemption both indicate that variances were possible.

There are certain implications that Deckard might be a replicant, including his lack of empathy ( at the beginning of the film ), his collection of photos at his apartment, and the apparent glow in his eyes when cleaning himself up at his apartment following his confrontation with Leon. For further background you might want to perform a google search and look at some of the Blade Runner sites.

- Walter.

10. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"I have read threads were many consider this the greatest sci fi film ever. Why?"

Along with Star Wars and 2001, Blader Runner is probally the most influential SciFi movie made. Everything from Batman,Terminator,The Crow,Seven,Dark City,and dozens of other SciFi movies since were influenced by BR.

Personally, I think Blade Runner is brilliant, one of my 10 faves of all time.

11. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

Even the latest Star Wars borrows from Blade Runner! Blade Runner is not your 'average' sci-fi movie, in much the same way that 2001 is not your 'average' sci-fi movie. There are many people who consider 2001 to be a horrible movie (my wife is in that camp). To each their own, but I think it is one of the best films ever made [​IMG]

12. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

So it seems the movies appeal has more to do with the photography and set design than the actual story.

I see where movies like ATOC, Back to the Future 2, 5th Element all had that futureistic way of cars and the way they intermixed.

13. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

14. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

It goes much beyond the visuals (which are unmatched in scope and grandeur even in the latest SW opus). The story has a wonderfully spiritual and religious take on humanity and what it takes to be human.
    Couple that with the best performance we'll ever see from Rutger Hauer and Sean Young and some excellent action set pieces. This movie has it all (plot, theme, cinematography, production design, action, and an excellent progonstication of a future society).
    A great film. [​IMG]

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

16. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

17. Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne Second Unit

In additional to what Walter said, it would have been important for Deckard to not realize he was a replicant in order to get him to hunt other replicants. If he would have had super strength or exceptionally fast reactions, he would have known he wasn't human. He probably had some replicant abilities, such as superior marksmanship or stronger bones, to help him hunt replicants, but they wouldn't have been obvious to Deckard.

As for Deckard not expiring, as far as we know he was created shortly before the movie begins and therefore could have up to two years to go.

18. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

19. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Robert and all,

Thanks for the input, I definately need to rewatch this film with those viewpoints in mind. I obviously have nothing against this movie and have no intention of putting down its merits.

I heard that there is a new special edition of this film coming? The transfer on the copies I have watched have been terrible.

20. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I read Ebert's review and IMO he missed the boat on this film. Some of the observations he made in his review made me wonder if he was watching the same film that I saw. Ebert's statement that the replicants all had the same childhood memories makes me think that he must have been taking a nap during his viewing of this film. Watching this film I get the impression that
    the Replicants have no past memories of childhood at all. The whole point of the void comp test is to check for emotional responses to situations that accumulate in a person's memory over an entire lifespan. Deckard, later in the film, is talking to Tyrell about Rachel and during the conversation suddenly realizes what Tyrell has done. He states as much when he says "memories...you are talking about memories".
    Ebert's statement that the human element is thin is totally off base in my opinion. The whole film is about what constitutes a "human" being. There is as much, if not more, information to derive about the characters from what is unsaid than what is said. Blade Runner is a great SF film because it raises questions and invites debate about what it is to be human.