What's new

Pre-Order Blade Runner 2049 (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
In the "when did 'Blade Runner' become a cult hit?" discussion, when did the Criterion laserdisc hit the shelves?

A poke around the Internet says 1987 - not sure if that's correct, though.

If it is, then it strongly implies the film had achieved its "cult" status by that point - I don't think Criterion bothers to release a flop sci-fi film without a strong following already in existence...
Released by Criterion in 1993. I remember. I bought it first day.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What I want to know is this: will the 4K UHD release be 1.90:1 (IMAX ratio) or 2.39:1??? I certainly hope it's the former!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What I want to know is this: will the 4K UHD release be 1.90:1 (IMAX ratio) or 2.39:1??? I certainly hope it's the former!

Probably 2.39:1. The DP said that's his preferred framing, and with the exception of Christopher Nolan IMAX films, Warner's policy seems to be to present the films in their non-IMAX versions on disc.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Blade Runner has been my favorite movie for a long time. I guess because it came out at a time when I was first getting into video. I always loved stereo and music. I remember getting into cable. When I first saw the original movie I was blown away with the story. The cimenatography was gorgeous. I remember watching the movie on a Proton monitor reciever and the shadow detail was staggering. The whole experience with the music from Vangelis was addicting. Ridley Scott is outstanding in the way he directed. I first had it on VHS. Then on Laserdisc. Then on DVD. Then on a multi disc Bluray all releases. I actually owned the synthesizer a Roland SH1000,That was used to score the movie. I haven't seen the sequel yet. I now have a system consisting of 4 ADS L1290/2s and a home made center channel to match. I have gone to Atmos with Anthem equipment, Statement 5 channel and 2 Nikko Alpha 440s. Anthem AVM60 Pre Pro. The Blade Runner movies are an ablolute must have.
t

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
No, the Criterion Blade Runner laserdisc was released well before the Director's Cut existed. Just dug out my copy, and it says "First Printing 1987" on the back of the jacket.
Sorry I was thinking of the Directors cut released in 1993

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I also bought the laserdisc on release day in 1987. One of the first, if not the first, laserdiscs featuring letterboxed OAR. It was very exciting at the time. I saw Blade Runner early in its run at a big theater in Westwood (near UCLA). It was packed, we had to search for seats. My friends and I loved it and it was an enthusiastic audience overall that night. It is a great memory.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have always been afraid to say this in public, but I HATED the original Blade Runner.

I won't go so far as to say I hated it, but I will say that I only saw the original film last year when a friend loaned it to me and, while I liked it well enough, it did not become a favorite of mine or something that I am particularly attached to in any way. I saw the new one in the theater without reviiting the first one in about a year and I really thought the new one was terrific. So, holding affection for the first one is by no means a prerequisite for enjoyment of the sequel.

That being said, I do hope that WB comes out with a Blu-ray double pack of the original and 2049. As I do not own the original, it would be a nice opportunity to pick both of them up at once, and I would much rather have a Blu-ray of the original than a DVD of 2049 in a combo pack situation.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan

I saw the film in IMAX first, then in OAR 3D. While the IMAX was certainly staggering, I felt like the 2.39:1 framing was much more artful. Would be nice to have both though!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deleted, due to brain fart over the movie being discussed. I don't know why I thought you were referring to "Dunkirk" when the thread was about "Blade Runner 2049". :oops:

Last edited:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Probably 2.39:1. The DP said that's his preferred framing, and with the exception of Christopher Nolan IMAX films, Warner's policy seems to be to present the films in their non-IMAX versions on disc.

He did? When deciding what premium format to see it in I read a lot of Deakins' comments about it and don't remember running across that. Or at least not as clear cut.

(I believe you by the way, Josh. I'm sure I just missed it reading through his forum.)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

What other non-Nolan IMAX ratio films has WB handled? I know "Sully" was one - not sure of others...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What other non-Nolan IMAX ratio films has WB handled? I know "Sully" was one - not sure of others...

Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice too, and Fantastic Beasts had IMAX frame breaks for effects like the new Ghostbusters... I might be forgetting something.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice too, and Fantastic Beasts had IMAX frame breaks for effects like the new Ghostbusters... I might be forgetting something.

Thanks. "Sully" stands out as the one that bugged me most because almost the entire film was shot on digital IMAX cameras - it really should've been 1.90:1 on BD.

Same for "2049". It's bad enough when movies with any IMAX footage don't open up for those shots, but when virtually the whole movie is filmed that way, it's even more frustrating...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks