What's new

Pre-Order Blade Runner 2049 (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
91RPLFlpDnL._SL1500_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I guess this is coming right before the holidays. The window for blu-ray releases is getting shorter and shorter.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The window for blu-ray releases is getting shorter and shorter.

Yup. These days, opening weekend is everything. Once that is past, it's only a brief amount of time before a film hits VOD and then disc. Movie theaters hate it. I don't blame them. Some films, like Blade Runner 2049, benefit greatly from being seen in a theater. Sadly, films aren't allowed to find an audience these days. Hype the heck out of them, dump them in theaters, hope they have a massive opening weekend in the US and China, then dump them to VOD or, less often these days, disc. Churn, churn, churn.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have always been afraid to say this in public, but I HATED the original Blade Runner.

I know I am in the absolute minority on this.

Despite that, I will probably give this a look once released.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I'm waiting on the 4K of this. May well splurge on limited edition gift set kinda of thing if there is one - if it's the purported "shot glass" package then nope!. Should go well with my briefcase edition of the original although I much prefer watching the 4K of the original with the Atmos track - I am not setup for 4K projector display in my home theater area but the Atmos is a killer!

Regards,

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
3D version?

This is just an initial Amazon placement. There is no press release. There is no announcement of a 4k release, which would be a certainty. I say give it a bit of time. However, I am not certain where Warner stands on 3D releases anymore.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I have always been afraid to say this in public, but I HATED the original Blade Runner.

I don't know that you are. Blade Runner has certainly developed a following on home video as opposed to in its initial run, but it's still very much a very expensive cult film. I think the vast majority of people either haven't seen it or, like you, don't care for it. I have lots of friends who only watched it recently because of the sequel coming out and many of them got bored and turned it off.

It's cool. Enjoyment is subjective. There are films that I can appreciate for the artistry involved in making them but that I don't care to ever see again.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Despite that, I will probably give this a look once released.

If you didn't like the first Blade Runner, you probably won't like this one, either. I didn't like BR at first myself, mostly because I was pretty young the first time I saw it [early teens], and was disappointed after having loved Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I didn't watch it again until the fall of 1992, when the director's cut was playing theatres. It was mine and my wife's first date, and while she has forgiven me since, [even going so far as to buy me the briefcase box for Christmas in 2007] she wasn't thrilled about it, and had no interest in seeing Blade Runner 2049.

I have long-standing and convoluted history with alternative cuts of films, including buying multiple titles with alternate cuts. Blade Runner was one of those, and repeated viewing of the DC increased my appreciation, in conjunction with re-reads of DADoES. As a result, it became a favourite.

Tl;dr: don't watch Blade Runner 2049 if you are unable/unwilling to give the first film a second chance, because you'll get nothing out of the experience. Both films need to be seen on as big a screen as possible initially, and there are so many referential moments in 2049 that if you're not willing to revisit Blade Runner, you simply won't "get" it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
If you didn't like the first Blade Runner, you probably won't like this one, either. I didn't like BR at first myself, mostly because I was pretty young the first time I saw it [early teens], and was disappointed after having loved Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I didn't watch it again until the fall of 1992, when the director's cut was playing theatres. It was mine and my wife's first date, and while she has forgiven me since, [even going so far as to buy me the briefcase box for Christmas in 2007] she wasn't thrilled about it, and had no interest in seeing Blade Runner 2049.

I have long-standing and convoluted history with alternative cuts of films, including buying multiple titles with alternate cuts. Blade Runner was one of those, and repeated viewing of the DC increased my appreciation, in conjunction with re-reads of DADoES. As a result, it became a favourite.

Tl;dr: don't watch Blade Runner 2049 if you are unable/unwilling to give the first film a second chance, because you'll get nothing out of the experience. Both films need to be seen on as big a screen as possible initially, and there are so many referential moments in 2049 that if you're not willing to revisit Blade Runner, you simply won't "get" it.
I didn’t like the original Blade Runner. I loved Blade Runner 2049. They are similar but very different. The sequel is far superior in every way in my opinion.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
However, I am not certain where Warner stands on 3D releases anymore.

As of now, Warner still supports 3D discs. However, they've stopped making slipcovers for 3D releases (they still do for the 2D version) and no longer include Atmos with the 3D version even though it's technically possible to do so.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I didn’t like the original Blade Runner. I loved Blade Runner 2049. They are similar but very different. The sequel is far superior in every way in my opinion.
Difference here is that you say you didn't like Blade Runner; Ron says he HATED Blade Runner. A matter of degrees, but a distinction with a difference.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Of all your crazy posts - 1000s of them! - this may be the craziest! :P

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
As of now, Warner still supports 3D discs. However, they've stopped making slipcovers for 3D releases (they still do for the 2D version) and no longer include Atmos with the 3D version even though it's technically possible to do so.

Yeah, I expect a 3D release for this one. WB still supports 3D pretty well - are there any WB movies that were 3D theatrically but not 3D on BD?

I can think of "exceptions" from other studios that still support 3D - Paramount and Sony have a few they didn't release 3D - but I can't think of any WB theatrical 3Ds that weren't also 3D on BD...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You had to buy a deluxe box o'junk to get the 3D version of The Lego Movie a few years ago, and Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1 (which was 2D-only theatrically) was a Best Buy exclusive as a stand-alone release, but those are minor quibbles on an otherwise good track record.

I'm annoyed that DVD, 2D BD and UHD get slipcases but WB has dropped them from 3D. I'm annoyed that 2D BD and UHD get Atmos but 3D doesn't anymore. But I don't have Atmos at home and at the end of the day, I'm watching the disc and not the slipcases. So those are annoyances and a troubling trend towards just stopping all together but at the moment at least Warner is still releasing the 3D discs.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If a person hates the first one , which is superior, then spending money and time watching this one is just a waste of both resources.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If a person hates the first one , which is superior, then spending money and time watching this one is just a waste of both resources.
I try to stay away from blanket assertions because there is too much subjectivity when it comes to film appreciation despite similarities between two films as there are some differences too.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yup. I bet Ron’s gonna love this when he finally see it...even despite hating the first one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks