What's new

Blade: DD5.1 DVD vs. DTS Laserdisc (1 Viewer)

Jin E

Second Unit
Well I finally was able to get a copy of Blade DTS laserdisc off of a fellow HTF'r. Anyhoo... I did a A-B comparison of the DTS v. DVD-DD5.1 audio tracks. Well... to tell you the truth... there was a very big difference, but not in a way you would expect. The LFE on the DVD sounds like it's about 5-10db higher then it's DTS counterpart. This is usually opposite from what I (though) I heard from A-B compairs of other LD/DVD... where the Laser's DTS track's LFE seemed slightly louder then the DD5.1's. The DD5.1 did seem to get slightly boomy at time (not the fault of the SVS!), and the DTS LFE track seemed to have more detail then the DD counterpart. An example... when blade throwsOnly a couple of times during my A-B compare did I notice any additional clarity of the DTS over the DD5.1 (one my my only complaints with the DVD was I though some of the dialogue seems muffled). Anyhoo... the DTS is a nice track... but I actually prefer the harder hitting DD5.1 track over the slightly clearer DTS track. It's a nice Laser and will fit nicely in my collection... I don't think it's worth the 8X's the price of the DVD that I paid for it though.
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I got the DTS LD 2 years ago for $69. It was well worth it in my opinion, though I never ordered the DVD. I guess I'm still holding out for a future DTS re-release like Twister/Lethal Weapon/Interview with a Vampire. So much for that hope. The LD still sounds fantastic to me. Casper DTS LD and the Haunting DTS DVD are the best I've ever heard though.
"8X the price of the DVD"- $160??

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Jin E,
Dont feel bad, I paid $135 from Hong Kong for a used copy.
I love it too :)
------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

Jin E

Second Unit
WHooops! I ment 4X
blush.gif

It's definitly a great soundtrack... don't get me wrong. After watching the whole thing I definitly like the DTS better... it's odd that the DTS track's LFE is lower then the DD-DVD.
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks