What's new

BLACKs on the SAMSUNG (1 Viewer)

dennis_said

Auditioning
I have the SAMSUNG 50'' DLP Projection, it's not even a day old and when I popped in the MILLION DOLLAR BABY. I haven't done any calibrations or anything I just have it MOVIE mode... and I see massive artifacts in the darker gym scenes... it's just really unbearable, and I'm curious if there is anything that I can do to MINIMIZE it... it seems as though with other dark scenes in other movies this problem is apparent too... please advise.

thanks in advance!

John S

Senior HTF Member
To help some.. Run THX Optimizer available on many THX DVD's these days. And see if it can be improved.

This is one of the biggaboo's of digital displays though in all honesty.

dennis_said

Auditioning
Thanks John I'll def. do that, I can understand that it'd be noticible but this is just ridiculously bad I'm sure some calibration would help =)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
THX optimode patterns are a temporary solution, some are not encoded correctly. I recommend Avia or DVE for proper patterns.

Also, DLP has some inherent dithering in shadow details, but this will be greatly helped by proper alignment of black and white points with a calibration DVD.

The other issue is the internal processing or other processing going on, if not of high quality, that can lead to a lot of noise in the picture that is not present in the source. I have not seen million dollar baby on DVD, so I don't know how much noise is in the source encode on that one. If it's just this movie, that's one thing, if it's all movies, then it's a system problem/limitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks