Blackout Curtains

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Cam, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Cam

Cam Auditioning

I am looking for some material to make my 80x70 sliding door window completely light unintrudable(or very close) for use with my projector. I've been searching the internet for a few days looking for stuff, but I really have no idea what to look for because everything I find is pretty vague. If someone with experience with this can help me, I would great appreciate some help. I am looking for something completely light-free(or very close), looks good, and will allow me to get through the door without a huge struggle each time. I want to not be able to tell the difference between night and day in this room. Thanks.

2. Rex.G

Rex.G Stunt Coordinator

Most fabric stores carry the material you are looking for. Just ask for Light Absorbing Black-Out Material. This stuff is/was traditionally used by photographers in darkrooms and such and is pretty readily available.

Or do Google search blackout material.

3. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

Another suggestion would be to put velcro around perimeter to fasten and seal-out the light.

David

4. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

I got mine at wallmart for next to nothing. advertized as the same material used in hotels. they work really well.

5. ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite Auditioning

In my closet room which holds my equipment (everything is built into the back wall) I put dark window tinting on the two basement windows in that room and then put up a dark curtin. No light gets through. I did this because I didn't want to see light coming through my racks.
    Good Luck
    Chris

6. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

I'm not sure how well this would work with your sliding door window but yesterday I placed an order for blackout curtains from here:

BlackoutCurtains.com

One thing they don't show in the photo is that they include a small vallence to hide the hardware & block the light around the hardware.

They also sell blackout shades:

Blackout Shades

They custom make their curtains & tracks to your specs so I won't receive them for about 2 weeks & I don't yet know how well they work.

Have any of you tried the curtains at BlackoutCurtains.com?

7. Joel DuBay

Joel DuBay Auditioning

Hey Brian,

That is a heck of a nice room you've got going there. Looks like it will be really great and guests will love it!

Good luck!

8. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

You can get it JoAnns I have some in my skylights attached with Velcro. Works great.

9. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

Just a couple more comments to help you get the most from your curtains.

Build a valence (a simple box with material over it) at the top to prevent light from escaping from the top of the curtain.

You can also use magnets on the outside edges to help seal the curtain to the wall and each other at their juncture when closed.

Lastly, you may want to hang them just a little low so they drag the ground by 14 to 12". This will also help prevent light from escaping into the room.

Photos are provided in my link.

Good Luck!