Blackout and Frame With ???'s... Please Help!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jason-Mar, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Jason-Mar

Jason-Mar Auditioning

I am in the final stages of screen construction but have run into a few probs/questions.

First is how do I determine the width of my black out border? I am building my screen on a fixed object that is rectangular in shape but about a foot larger in each direction than my actual viewing area. I will sometimes switch formats, does this mean I will always have some section of the outline that will be somewhat lit up? I hope I am explaining this correctly... I just don't want to finish this and find out the blackout isn't even working for me.

Second question but related to the blackout is the material used for that. I have purchase a polyester which seemed like it would be good for the blackout, however it does seem to reflect a lot light making it almost pointless. Is it my material or am I doing something else wrong?

2. Jason-Mar

Jason-Mar Auditioning

I have been reading some other posts and what I have been refering to as "blackout" material is the black material you use to border your screen, not the grayish/whitish material used as window shades... Boy I wish I would have paid more attention in writing class!

3. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

Good luck with your project!!

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    When I built my screen, I originally painted the blackout border flat black but soon determined that it was not black enough and still reflected some of the light that you speak of. I later covered the border with a type of felt velcro which absorbs much more light than the original border...

http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1/...creenclose.jpg