What's new

BlacKkKlansman (2018) (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Sometimes, doing the right thing can often take years.
I'd love to see Spike Lee finally win a competitive Oscar.
As it is, he's currently well positioned for the Triple Crown;
i.e. Producer, Director, Writer.

Interestingly, he would really deserve it this year as he has made a great picture. I kind of think BlacKkKlansman...I don't really want to say greatest hits package...but it takes all the things that make Spike Lee SPIKE LEE and combines them in maybe the most intoxicating way he has ever been able to achieve.

I mean as a filmmaker he knows how to grab your attention and how to tell a story in a beautiful truly cinematic way...and he obviously can be very in your face, political, and smash you with his opinions...and here in this film he takes all those aspects of who he is and what he does makes them all work together as entertainment, political rant, and beautiful message.

Really, if you are going to judge if a film is great...or "best"...I think a film that is beautiful to look at, uses all the art and impact filmmaking can have to both entertain AND deliver a truly important human message that cuts right to the heart of our present day dilemma...well...this is the kind of film you should consider.

Reactions: PMF

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I gave you a "Likes" for "arguably his best film";
but I respectfully disagree with "he'll win none".
Let me say it here, Spike Lee will capture his Oscar.
I mean for BlacKKlansman. He will win eventually but not for this film.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I knew what you meant; but if not for this year, then when? "Do the Right Thing" was a masterpiece and "Malcolm X" was monumental. And, with Spike Lee's recent Lifetime Achievement Award, what a great way to top it all off but with a competitive Oscar. Again, I say, Spike Lee is primed for a win; after all, it was AMPAS who nominated him in three categories and that's a very strong indicator. At a minimum, Spike Lee will win for Best Screenplay.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I think "Do the Right Thing" is Spike Lee's best film. BlacKKKlansman will win "Best Picture" at the Oscars. Count on it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I love that they brought the real Ron Stallworth to the SAG Awards last night.

I hope he gets to go to the Oscars as well.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

If Lee doesn't win for this one, I wouldn't be so sure he'd get a "competitive Oscar".

Lee's output has been spotty for years. It's not like he's been pumping out high-quality flicks on a consistent basis.

Maybe this one rejuvenates Lee and he embarks on a series of good movies, but it's just as easy - probably easier - to see this as a late career outlier...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The real Ron...

Great to see the real Ron sitting at the table, during Sunday night's SAG Awards.

[...]"Do the Right Thing" was a masterpiece and "Malcolm X" was monumental.[...]
[...]I thought so as I walked out that theater in 1989.
Ha...I was thinking the same thing as I was walking in.;)
I knew when Lee was born he would make Do the Right Thing and it would be great.

Is that it?
Actually no...as I knew when Spike Lee's parents went out on their first date that they would one day marry, create Spike, and save their monies to send him to the prestigious NYU film school.
They did the right thing by him.:thumbsup:
This year, the votes are for Mr. Lee. And why? Because he's gotta have it.:)

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Finally caught this one today, as HBO Now warned me it was leaving at the beginning of December.

It's interesting that one of the things that Boots Riley called the movie out for was Ron's fictional girlfriend in college, played by Laura Harrier, who was heavily involved in the Black Power movement.

Her character to me, was one of the most important parts of the movie, because what Spike Lee was exploring was a conversation between two different philosophies. Ron was invested in America, and believed that the path forward was through reforming the existing dominant institutions to be more fair and inclusive. Patrice believed that the American project was irredeemable, and that it would take some form of revolution to get white people to give up their unearned privilege and dismantle that systems of oppression. And the back and forth between those two philosophies was quite the seesaw, with the jump forward to the real footage from 2017 ending the debate on a harrowingly ambivalent note.

The last act of the movie felt like it ran out of steam, relying too much on comedy and didn't feel as polished as the first half. In particular, the climactic scene with the bomb package and the KKK wife's mission felt artless compared to other scenes. That conversation on the bridge with Patrice where the sun kept framing the edges of her hair as a halo was such a marvelous shot while the explosion at the end looked so artificial it had no weight.
I didn't have a problem with the explosion scene itself, but I didn't buy that the Colorado Springs PD would turn on the racist cop, and I didn't buy Ron's victory lap back at the station. The only moment that felt real to me in that whole sequence that the police chief trying to sweep the investigation under the rug.

Well, I would say that the KKK group in the film are basically portrayed as idiots and they are sort of mostly comic in the film. I know Felix was meant to be a bit menacing but he also seemed basically pretty stupid. So, I can see a criticism of the film being that the KKK is mostly portrayed as blundering morons which makes them kind of one note...but if the shoe fits...
Exactly. The fact is, most white supremacists are insecure morons who turn to racism as a salve for their own shortcomings. I thought it was interesting that within the local Klan chapter there was Walter, who basically saw it as a social club, and Felix -- who actually was a violent radical.

The wife is obviously a dim bulb and she seems destined to fail at whatever task she was being sent on. The fate of the guys in the car seems inevitable as well because they are just a bunch of clowns.
I think the movie was also making the point that hatred in inherently self-destructive.

Interestingly, he would really deserve it this year as he has made a great picture. I kind of think BlacKkKlansman...I don't really want to say greatest hits package...but it takes all the things that make Spike Lee SPIKE LEE and combines them in maybe the most intoxicating way he has ever been able to achieve.
I would have picked A Star Is Born or Black Panther over this one, but after seeing it Green Book winning feels like even more of a punch in the balls.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyhoward63@g
Recent bookmarks