Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Title: BlacKkKlansman

Tagline: Infiltrate hate.

Genre: Crime, Drama, Comedy

Director: Spike Lee

Cast: John David Washington, Adam Driver, Laura Harrier, Topher Grace, Corey Hawkins, Jasper Pääkkönen, Paul Walter Hauser, Ryan Eggold, Ashlie Atkinson, Ken Garito, Robert John Burke, Frederick Weller, Harry Belafonte, Alec Baldwin, Ryan Preimesberger, Craig muMs Grant, Damaris Lewis, Ato Blankson-Wood, Michael Buscemi, Michael J. Burg, Faron Salisbury, Dared Wright, Jared Johnston, Elise Hudson, McManus Woodend, Gary Ayash, Tejon Wright, Michael Erik, Tom Stratford, Timal McKen, Chris Banks, John Mitchell, Jarrod LaBine, Bob Angelini, Kacie Calhoun, Elizabeth Paige

Release: 2018-08-10

Runtime: 135

Plot: Ron Stallworth, an African-American police officer from Colorado, successfully managed to infiltrate the local Ku Klux Klan and became the head of the local chapter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As I said in another thread, I thought this was Spike's best movie since 25th Hour or Summer Of Sam.

I have to say that I loved that
the narrative ends on a fairly upbeat note showing that when different people work together they can overcome obstacles but then the movie's epilogue reminds you that despite progress made, there's still a lot more road to go.

I enjoyed the scene where Stallworth and Patrice were discussing blaxploitation movies (they were right to choose Shaft and Roundtree) although I have to imagine that I was the only person in my theater that had any idea of what they were talking about.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Aside from Infinity War, this was one of the best theater experiences I've had with an audience this year. It was a sellout crowd, which is rare here, and everybody was really plugged into it and reacting together to the experience, throughout, but especially at the end.

Everyone went nuts when Stallworth told off David Duke in their final phone conversation to choking up at the Charlottesville footage, and then erupting into applause when the credits began to roll. It really hits you with a range of emotions throughout a very short final section.

I thought the move was phenomenal.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I would love to see what his father would've done with this film if he was 30 years younger.

I dunno why this rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's cause I have been blissfully enjoying JDW's acting on Ballers for 3 years without knowing his parentage. He's a good actor, charismatic and funny. I definitely think it's ok to wonder how different actors would have handled a role, but I think saddling him with the baggage of who his dad is despite having two careers on his own before this movie is a bit.... cheap maybe?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I dunno why this rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's cause I have been blissfully enjoying JDW's acting on Ballers for 3 years without knowing his parentage. He's a good actor, charismatic and funny. I definitely think it's ok to wonder how different actors would have handled a role, but I think saddling him with the baggage of who his dad is despite having two careers on his own before this movie is a bit.... cheap maybe?
If it does then so be it, as I did wonder while watching the film how his dad would've done with this role. I'm sorry if that offends you in some way, but I'm expressing my views and it's not like I'm saying this to his face or in some article in which he can read it which would be an insult committed by me towards him.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Please understand I'm not trying to change your view or say you are wrong for having that PoV! I just feel bad for the guy that he can't let his amazing performance stand on its own.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think people would be wondering how Denzel would have handled that role even if his son hadn't been cast. It's the kind of role that would have been a dead center bull's eye for him in the early nineties.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please understand I'm not trying to change your view or say you are wrong for having that PoV! I just feel bad for the guy that he can't let his amazing performance stand on its own.
I'm in no way criticizing his performance. This is the type of role that Spike would have given Denzel, 25-30 years ago. It has nothing to do with John David Washington. TBH, I've never seen Ballers, the series just doesn't interest me even though I have HBO so this is really my first viewing of John David's work as an actor. He's really good, but that doesn't mean I can't express my thoughts about what Denzel would be like in this role.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, John David looks more like his mother than father.

GettyImages-139182917-1532095897-640x408.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Wow, saw this last night. It was outstanding, and fits right in with the Spike Lee tradition of making films that are not only about something, but that are urgent. I'd be interested to know how much dramatic license was taken with the story, but either way, this is great film making. Really wonderful work by Washington, Driver and the rest of the cast. Jasper Paakkonen, who played Felix, reminded me a bit of Michael Rooker in Mississippi Burning, in how menacing he was. Through the movie I kept trying to place the actress playing Patrice, and at the end I realized she was Liz in last year's Spider-Man Homecoming. I saw a lot of parallels to today (which were intentional), including the scene where the men are out in the field target shooting and talking about "preparing for the coming war." Sadly, I know of a few people in the modern-day real world who say similar things. This is one of my favorite pictures of the year so far.

EDIT: Here's a piece in Slate on what's factual and what's not in the movie. https://slate.com/culture/2018/08/whats-fact-and-whats-fiction-in-blackkklansman.html

Last edited:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I too greatly enjoyed this film and it wasn't until afterwards that I found out
  • JDW is Denzel's son (I had never seen him onscreen before)
  • That was not Steve Buscemi
I thought JDW did a tremendous job in the role. All the supporting cast were great as well, including Patrice, Kwame, the guys at the police station, and yes, the "organization" members did a great job putting forth such a convincing portrayal of such an ugly viewpoint.

Special kudos from me to Adam Driver, who continues to impress me with the subtleties and nuances in his performance. The little talk he and JDW have about his Jewishness midway through the film was a really fine performance on both their parts, and shot extremely well.

And I did appreciate the way the film ended. Because as much as it wanted to give you that happy ending, it also needed to remind you...to remind all of us...of its message, lessons learned (and still needing to be learned) and how it all still resonates and is applicable to present day.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks