What's new

Blacking out window (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hello fellas.

I finally ordered my projector and now, I need to be able to make my room as dark as possible.

I live in a apt, on the 4th floor. The living room has a single window facing west - unfortunately, as 90% of my screenings are sure to be in the 2nd half of the day.

The window is 3-4 ft tall and 6-8 ft wide. The glass/frame is recessed about 6 inches into the wall.

I am looking for a way to block as much light as possible from this window, at will. Sure, I could put curtains (I have none, moved in not too long ago and as a bachelor I get away with stuff like that :D), but because the sun shines straight through it for the better part of the day in this season, that won't be enough.

So I am thinking some kind of panel(s) I could put up when it's time to watch a movie. Rather than one big 4x8 panel, perhaps 2 or 3 smaller ones.

How would I secure the panels to the window frame? Velcro comes to mind. As for the panel material, i amthinking some kind of cardboard?

I have zero experience with this sort of stuff and was wondering if anyone here had ever done anything similar.

Again, due to the amount of light that floods through these windows in the afternoon, I very much doubt that curtains or blinds will provide me with the darkness I need.

Thanks for your help.

--
H

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
In my Room I use Black Out Drapes for the Sliding Glass door that's in there and It blacks out all light completely. That might work as they come in all sizes.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Black out drapes?

Doesn't light light spill from the sides? And even the top of the curtain?

I am not sure I understand, can you point to a picture?

Thanks.

--
H

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I finally tackled my HT window last week. It's never a problem until about 4pm til dark when the sun is on that side of the house.

I just built a lightweight frame out of 1x2 and stapled black plastic to the frame. That effectively blocks out all light from the window. Next I've got to find some material that will match my room and put that over the plastic to make it blend in a bit more.

Completely effective and didn't cost a thing (until I buy some material to finish it with) Granted, this is a half size window, so the frame is small, but you could do the same and make 2 panels, or even hinge two together so it doesn't take up as much storage space when not in use.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator

You can use the Velcro along the sides of the drapes and even the top with a valance.

David

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
sorry I didnt elaborate. Yes Velcro along the sides works well. The angle at which light hits the window i don't have to worry about the top so I'm not sure.
link

This is what i'm talking about. You could most likely find this at W*mart really cheap and in different sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks