Blacker-than-black test?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim A. Banville, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

I'm looking for a test to show whether my DVD player passes "below black" (a.k.a. 0 IRE). AVIA does have a black level test, but not a pattern that shows "below black". Is Video Essentials the only source for a blacker-than-black test? Thanks!

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

As far as I know, yes. I know VE has it- Avia might have a 0 Ire bar somewhere in its advanced tests.

-Vince

3. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I think that the standard PLUGE test has the blacker-than-black bar. As I understand it, the left bar is five percent below 7.5 IRE, which is considered black in NTSC.I think. Anyways, if you raise the brightness control and never see the left bar, your player can't pass blacker than black. Hope this helps.

-Christian

4. Sundar Prasad

Sundar Prasad Stunt Coordinator

If you have the Phantom Menace DVD, the THX test patterns have blacker than black data in the black level (or brightness) set up test pattern. There is a drop shadow behind the THX logo that is below 7.5 IRE and if your DVD player can pass blacker than black you will be able to see the drop shadow if you crank up the brightness on the TV high enough.