What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh Steinberg submitted a new blog post

Black Widow (1954) Blu-ray Review (Twilight Time)
Black-Widow-1954-poster-1024x803.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can't speak to why Twilight Time picks any specific movies, but their braintrust does seem to have some specific tastes. They released a lot of 1950s CinemaScope titles from Twentieth Century Fox in 2018, and I think this was part of that pattern -- both of the October Fox releases from TT were early 50s CinemaScope films.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I can't speak to why Twilight Time picks any specific movies, but their braintrust does seem to have some specific tastes. They released a lot of 1950s CinemaScope titles from Twentieth Century Fox in 2018, and I think this was part of that pattern -- both of the October Fox releases from TT were early 50s CinemaScope films.
Try as I might, I can’t get TT interested in acquiring & releasing Skatetown USA (1979).

On a side note, there doesn’t seem to be any connection between this film and the 1987 Black Widow even though TT has released both.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Early CinemaScope has a lot of appeal. The stereo mixes were full-bodied, and the 255 AR spoke of real wide screen.

CinemaScope is still the most influential process IMHO. You can still see it on display (in effect) in today's big productions.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
You don’t think Skatetown has Mill Creek written all over it? :D
Honestly I don’t care who would end up releasing it as long as we get a quality Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray.

I bring up TT because they do have an agreement with Sony/Columbia.

Enough on that subtopic. I don’t want to derail this thread.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It was one of the more enjoyable TT titles I got to write up - as soon as I can forget all the twists and turns I’ll go back for more.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
It was one of the more enjoyable TT titles I got to write up - as soon as I can forget all the twists and turns I’ll go back for more.

I’d not seen this film before, and it’s been some time since I read your write-up and felt compelled to buy it.

By the time I watched it today, I didn’t remember the finer details of your review, and only revisited it after watching the Blu today.

I think your observations were excellent. I was very impressed with the structure of the piece - quite effective misdirection in terms of chronology of events which came together late in the piece. Performances were fine and the visuals outstanding.

Yet another of the unfortunate side-effects of TTs hiatus/demise is not being able to read more of your thoughtful and articulate write-ups.

mark-edk

Second Unit
Based on a series of mystery novels that featured Peter and Iris Duluth, an alcoholic theatrical producer and his actress wife. Author Patrick Quentin was an aka of Richard Webb and Hugh Wheeler. Several titles were made into movies, but only 'Homicide for Three' (1948) used the couple's true names. He's Peter Denver in 'Black Widow', and Peter Chance in 'Female Fiends' (aka 'Strange Awakenening') (1958). In 'The Man in the Net' (1959) he becomes John Hamilton, a commercial artist.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Enjoyed this movie today, which as mentioned in the review has fine picture quality. It's a tense roller coaster murder mystery, and almost like a color Film Noir with dashes of All About Eve.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks