Black Threaded Rod

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chip Sprague, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Chip Sprague

Chip Sprague Auditioning

Hi. New Guy. My name is Chip Sprague and I'm an electronicaholic.

I have a problem. Black Threaded Rod is hard to come by.

I'm building a three section HT rack and coffee/end tables to match. I need 8x36" pieces 4x22" and 4x16" threaded rod.

I'm about to give in and go stainless and darker wood than Black and lighter wood as I had initially intended.

The only options for black I've found are Black Oxidized, which I pretty much have to order online because none of the supply houses in Nashville seem to carry it. The downside here is that I've read you have to keep it oiled or it corrodes. I'm not big on the idea of having to oil my living room furniture.

There is some kind of aluminum that costs 3x as much, but I'm already looking at $260 in Black Oxidized.

The third option is to paint it but I fear that isn't really all that great sounding either as the point of this is to build sturdy stuff that will last for a decade or longer and I have reason to believe paint will chip off in that time.

So, I was told this would be the place to figure out what to do. What do you suggest?

2. DaveKahler

DaveKahler Stunt Coordinator

How about buying some aluminum rods and annodizing them black? www.onlinemetals.com should have some pretty cheap stuff

3. MikePenn

MikePenn Auditioning

Sorry, not a suggestion, just a bump (from a fellow fan of a certain ancient roman themed tech site).

But I'm interested in this too, so if anybody out there has any ideas....

4. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

There are some black marking dyes for aluminum and brass. Check http://www.smallparts.com/ under marking chemicals in the product section. Never used myself, just remember seeing them. I've been meaning to get a bottle of the brass black and give it a try on a stripped trumpet, just keep forgetting about it when I place orders for work.

Out of curiousity, how expensive is annodizing in small quantities?

5. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce
    I suppose your design doesn't allow for sheathing the rods in PVC pipe? That's what I did on my mini-rack, and you can paint the PVC whatever color if you like.

6. Ted Drain

Ted Drain Agent

Chip,
    I was under the impression that the black oxide finish was corrosion resistant. At least that's what the description in the McMaster-Carr catalog says (page 2944 on their web site http://www.mcmaster.com/ )

I really wanted black for my flexy but wasn't sure what the black-oxide rods would look like. I'm guessing they're not a high gloss black finish. In the end, I just got zinc plated steel.

Ted

7. Chip Sprague

Chip Sprague Auditioning

"(from a fellow fan of a certain ancient roman themed tech site)" [​IMG]

Well... I emailed the folds over at Small Parts Inc. We'll see what they come back with on that dye.

Black Oxide should just look like black metal. Almost like Black Gun metal. I've gotten conflicting feedback on the oxide corrosion issue. I can't even get a straight answer out of the Black Oxide company here in Nashville, which makes me very uneasy about the idea.

Andrew, pics? I haven't seen a PVC sheathed design that I liked (for my room... the look I'm going for). They all look "fat" to me.