What's new

Black Stallion DVD...anyone else think we need a new transfer/16x9 disc?? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Just popped this up on my friend's projector the other day to try to get a "WOW" from some of the scenery in this glorious film and I was hit over the head with one of the most horrendous transfers/mastering jobs I've seen. A strange over-sized grain that looked almost 3-D because of all the ringing/edge enhancement...virtually no picture detail and some really shocking ghosting on the opening credits etc. This transfer is also plagued with video noise and compression artifacting...really really sad (similar to some of the terrible artifacing in MGMs first DVD version of Fiddler).

2.0 DD audio sounded pretty lame compared to the PCM on my old laserdisc (really has some *extrodinary* sound on the laserdisc...the DVD just sounded "ho-hum".

Anyone else hoping that this title gets a nice new 16x9 transfer from MGM?

Maybe along side a nice new 16x9 Chitty Chitty and Secret of NIHM???

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Agreed. This one doesn't look too good, and as a result we haven't watched it since initial viewing a couple years ago. A real shame considering the beautiful scenery.

By the way, when I saw the IMAX version of THE LION KING in December there was a preview for THE YOUNG BLACK STALLION, which will be released exclusively in IMAX theaters in September 2003. The scenery on the trailer was stunning.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Also agreed. The Black Stallion is in definite need of a new transfer. The desert island sequence, particularly, is a masterpiece of visually-driven cinema.

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
I grew up watching this film on a poorly recorded(incomplete) VHS tape, so I think the DVD transfer looks pretty good ;)
That said, a top-notch transfer with a dts track would make me re-purchase.
I like this film most because of the ending: it ties all the plot, photography, and score work into a beautiful two or three minutes of awe.

Mark_Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else hoping that this title gets a nice new 16x9 transfer from MGM?
most definately, a great family movie. I hadnt seen this in awhile and after watching some of the scenes of the boy stranded, it reminded me of some of the scenes from CastAway.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I would certainly buy it again if it came out with a decent anamorphic transfer.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I saw this on TCM and I was really impressed by the cinematography. I've thought about getting the DVD, but I know MGM's earlier efforts were kind of hit and miss.

That said, a top-notch transfer with a dts track would make me re-purchase.
This film was released in mono, I think, so I doubt DTS would be useful for this film. A cleaned up Dolby Stereo track would be better.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Released in Mono?

I'm pretty sure that Black Stallion was mixed in Dolby Surround for thetaers and the PCM stereo/surround on the laserdisc clearly demonstrates that the film was recorded in stereo/surround even if some theaters may have only been able to exhibit it in mono (ie, it's not a mono film that was 'remixed' to stereo just for laserdisc...the sound was *recorded* stereo).

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I'm in too. Love this movie. New transfer, 16x9, newly remastered audio, and any other special features would be great.

Peace,

DM

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm pretty sure that Black Stallion was mixed in Dolby Surround for thetaers and the PCM stereo/surround on the laserdisc clearly demonstrates that the film was recorded in stereo/surround even if some theaters may have only been able to exhibit it in mono (ie, it's not a mono film that was 'remixed' to stereo just for laserdisc...the sound was *recorded* stereo).
The IMDB just had "Dolby" on their listing, so I assumed that meant mono (since they usually put Dolby Stereo for a stereo film).

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I came across this a while back on TCM but had missed about the first 15-20 min. so I stopped watching towards the end of the island section and told myself I would rent it. Finally rented/watched it last night.

I enjoyed the entire movie but the island section is absolutely amazing. As cheap as the current disc is I simply will not buy it. It is too horrific.

How is MGM doing lately regarding going back and fixing past mistakes?

Biding my time and crossing my fingers. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks