Black Rain DVD. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lewis_W, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Lewis_W

Lewis_W Agent

Has anyone got the DVD of Black Rain with Michael Douglas? If so, whats it like? I've heard that the transfer isn't brilliant.
    Cheers guys and girls.
    Lewis.
    Audio Excellence

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It looks like a recycled laserdisc transfer. It's not anamorphic, and no, it isn't brilliant. The image is somewhat cleaner and more stable than the LD, and the sound has been remixed for DD 5.1 (the LD was 2-channel PCM). I bought it because I'm a fan of the film and don't expect to see it remastered anytime soon.

M.

3. Roby Adams

Roby Adams Stunt Coordinator

Actually there is a rumor that Ridley will be revisiting it this year for an SE release. I saw this on DVDtalk and a couple of other places. Anyone have any details?

4. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

I don't have any details *confirmed* on Black Rain, but I seem to remember from an interview with Charlie De Lauzirikia (sp?) that Ridley Scott wanted to re-visit Black Rain in the near future. With Ridley waiting on his next film project and BlackHawk Down finished, I'd say now is probably when they'd be working on it.

That, and Charlie said that Tony Scott would have most likely three special edition DVDs of his movies released in 2002. He couldn't give any more details than that without pissing off the studios. Obviously, one of them will be Spy Game, but other likely choices to be among those three would be a re-release of Top Gun and possibly Crimson Tide as well.

Regards,

Dan

5. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

DanR,

I might be wrong, but didn't Charlie D. say that he was helping Tony Scott with three special editions of movies that were already out? If I remembered that right, Spy Game wouldn't count (since it should be an SE when it's released anyway). I am hoping for and SE Director's Cut of True Romance!

6. Charles de Lauzirika

Insider

As far as I know, there are no plans to revisit "Black Rain" anytime soon. Although there are quite a few deleted scenes and an alternate ending which would be great to show at some point, I don't expect Paramount to get back to this for a while. Ironically, it's fortunate that the first DVD was non-anamorphic, making an eventual re-release more of a strong probability than just wishful thinking.

As far as Tony's SE titles go, when I previously mentioned that there were three SEs in the works, I wasn't including "Spy Game."

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This was another typical high priced, bare bones, weak transfer DVD that was the norm for Paramount a short time ago. Thanks to them they have improved somewhat since that time.

8. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

9. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Isn't Beverly Hills Cop (or one of the sequels) by Tony Scott, and hasn't it been announced for DVD this year?

Glad to hear Spy Kids isn't part of the three.

I mean Spy Game. I wonder how many people did NOT go to see Spy Game because the idea of a film where children rescue their secret agent parents just didn't appeal to them?

10. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor