What's new

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So the release date for Black Panther II is now the previously projected date for Captain Marvel 2.

Captain Marvel is being moved to November. Ant-Man 3 has not been given an official date yet. At the top of the thread for that movie, there is one, but it's not official. If the pandemic is over by then and Disney is able to maintain Doctor Strange, Thor, Black Panther and Captain Marvel in 2022, I bet Ant-Man gets slotted for 2023.

The slight shifting of the 2022 movies might be to get Doctor Strange 2 as close to Spider-Man 3 on the schedule as possible.

Spider-Man is December 2021 and Doctor Strange is March 2022. I'd say that's pretty close.

I assumed that Black Panther going in July instead of May has more to do with Boseman's passing. Coogler probably needed more time on the script because the version he was working on before would have had Boseman in it. Putting Thor in May still gives them one of their big recognizable brands in May while affording Coogler that time. Plus, it avoids the traffic jam of Thor arriving in February followed by Doctor Strange in March.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think it was the wrong call, but an emotionally understandable one.
I agree it's a mistake. Just another item in a string of recent news about upcoming Marvel projects that has me completely disinterested in future Marvel films.

I don't really understand the objections. Recasting T'Challa would create a ton of animosity toward the movie, and as we all know, "Black Panther" was never one specific person anyway.

Making a different character Black Panther was the way to go...

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
They specifically said that they weren't recasting T'Challa (and they'd already said they weren't going to go the "digital double" route, even just to set up his narrative death). They didn't say anything about not making someone else a new Black Panther.

Of course, for that they'd have to discover more of the "heart-shaped flower". T'Challa used the last (known) one to regain his powers.

On the other hand, the description of what the movie would be about suggests that it might be Panther-less, though if that turns out to be the case, I suspect that a new BP will be revealed by the end.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I don't really understand the objections. Recasting T'Challa would create a ton of animosity toward the movie, and as we all know, "Black Panther" was never one specific person anyway.

Making a different character Black Panther was the way to go...
T’Challa was one specific person.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
We spent several pages here and in the original Black Panther thread debating whether or not they should recast Boseman. I totally understand that people are going to feel the way they're going to feel about it and everyone has the right to their own opinion. By no means am I saying those shouldn't be expressed.

But now that they've actually announced that Boseman will not be recast, are we still going to keep going around in circles on this debate?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
And I don't understand or agree with this feeling. I have more animosity toward the film with the current plan to just toss aside T'Challa than I would with recasting the role and keeping the character in the story.

Beloved actor as beloved character in movie important to many and you don't understand why it might look tacky to recast Boseman?

And your assumption the character will be "tossed aside" is broad speculation. We don't know what Marvel intends to do to transition from T'Challa, but I'm sure they won't just "toss aside" the character...

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yeah, I know. Where did I indicate I didn't know that?
When you stated that “Black Panther was never one specific person anyway”. The disappointment with the decision isn’t about someone else being Black Panther as much as it is about killing off T’Challa.

Anyone could be “Iron Man“, anyone could be “Captain America, anyone could be “Black Panther“. But there is only one Tony Stark, one Steve Rogers and one T’Challa. The characters of those people under the “mask” are arguably more important than the superhero mantle they take on. So the objections some have to recasting is because T’Challa has to die with the actor who portrayed him.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
When you stated that “Black Panther was never one specific person anyway”. The disappointment with the decision isn’t about someone else being Black Panther as much as it is about killing off T’Challa.

Anyone could be “Iron Man“, anyone could be “Captain America, anyone could be “Black Panther“. But there is only one Tony Stark, one Steve Rogers and one T’Challa. The characters of those people under the “mask” are arguably more important than the superhero mantle they take on. So the objections some have to recasting is because T’Challa has to die with the actor who portrayed him.

You assume killing the character is the only way to get T'Challa out of the movie, and I don't assume that.

It's gonna be a touchy issue, but Marvel can find ways to pass the baton without killing the character...

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
You assume killing the character is the only way to get T'Challa out of the movie, and I don't assume that.

It's gonna be a touchy issue, but Marvel can find ways to pass the baton without killing the character...
That would be more palatable, but I think it’s unlikely. Not out of the realm of possibility though. Either way it‘ll likely be “clunky”.

I look forward to more of the world of Wakanda because it is such a rich and inspiring place. I’m just sad that the real world tragedy will inevitably color the escape to that fictional world.

Since Marvel is clearly embracing the “multiverse” aspect of their universe(s), I’d like to think that someday down the line they might explore an alternate universe story that features another version of T’Challa. They wouldn’t have to bring him over into the “Prime” MCU, but just the idea that a “T’Challa” is still out there in the Marvel multiverse would be comforting.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Either way it‘ll likely be “clunky”.

100%.

I’m just sad that the real world tragedy will inevitably color the escape to that fictional world.

Agreed. For me, this kinda breaks the fictional world and that makes it less appealing as escapist entertainment.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
If they had his family's blessing, I wouldn't be opposed to Marvel adapting the "Death of Captain Marvel" story for T'Challa. I think Ryan Coogler could make something really great with that.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Ryan Coogler wrote a column for Deadline concerning production of Black Panther II in Georgia. As a warning, this gets political in nature. In order to be within bounds of the forum posting rules, I'm going to leave my statement there without further comment. My interest here is not to start a political discussion but merely to mention the article for anyone who might be interested in reading what Coogler wrote. Here is the link.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Regardless of one's opinion on Coogler's stance, it's got to be a relief for Marvel execs. Atlanta is Marvel Studios's main production base and in addition to being the primary shooting location for more than a third of the MCU films and shows, it's also the place where the reshoots and little bits and pieces are shot. Uprooting that would have been complicated and expensive.

Having one of the country's most prominent black filmmakers argue forcefully against boycotting Georgia provides a lot of cover for staying put.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Lupita Nyong’o discussed the feeling of doing the movie without Chadwick Boseman:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The movie has been officially titled Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

Still due July 8, 2022.

bp1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks