What's new

Black Panther (2018) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Not that I'd ever be onboard for a such a campaign, but they completely lost me at the part where they alleged that Disney paid reporters to give DC movies negative reviews. That's not an accusation that can be taken seriously.

Oh, that’s been a DCEU (or whatever they are callin it) fanboy conspiracy complaint for a while now. There is actually a segment people who think that Disney pays critics to give negative reviews to DC movies and positive reviews to Marvel movies. They often use this to dismiss any legitimacy of Rotten Tomatoes aggregate scores when DC movies get low scores and Marvel movies get high percentages. Of course they tend to selectively ignore this conspiracy theory when DC movies like Wonder Woman and the Nolan Dark Knight movies do well with critics, and then they sing the praises of their great 90+% positive scores.

Sad, really.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
On a more positive vibe, I’m glad to hear that the tracking estimates have continued to increase. It would really be something if Black Panther comes close to or beats the $150M-ish four day opening holiday weekend of Deadpool.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
This is a reply to an earlier post by Jeff Cooper about movie violence. As you can see from my original post, I am only expressing my opinion. I am 66 now, but have felt this way for decades. I remember being shocked that such a depraved story as “Silence of The Lambs” could win best picture that year. I am not religious at all, but I guess I consider myself moral. Maybe it was being brought up with older parents!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That's some crazy tinfoil hat stuff to genuinely believe that Disney would a) engage in an illegal practice like that, that b) every single major publication would conspire with them, and that c) everyone could keep it a secret.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
With respect, what's immoral about Silence Of The Lambs? The villains are terrible people, but that's true of many film villains. The film itself seems firmly on the side of those who are fighting for good.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's some crazy tinfoil hat stuff to genuinely believe that Disney would a) engage in an illegal practice like that, that b) every single major publication would conspire with them, and that c) everyone could keep it a secret.
That's the part of conspiracies that I always find hard to believe. It's one thing to say a small group of people orchestrated a devious plot (maybe a few people are smart enough to keep their mouths shut) but when the conspiracy requires hundreds of people all to cooperate and to not to talk, there's no way that it could happen.

I don't get the whole thing of people picking a side (either Marvel or DC)? Why not just judge each individual film on its own merits?
Whether it's politics or entertainment, people love having a team to cheer on and an enemy to hate. The 'us vs. them' mentality is a reason why the world has become a sewer.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I don't get the whole thing of people picking a side (either Marvel or DC)? Why not just judge each individual film on its own merits?

I agree. But that has been a thing with comics since ever. I guess it is not too surprising that it transferred over to the film incarnations.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I’ll provide just a bit more background since the topic has been brought up.

This “Disney has an anti-DC agenda and is paying critics” nonsense has been a thing out there for a while now. It’s garbage, and I never felt it was something that needed to be discussed at HTF, but the topic was out there and sometimes argued about at more of the “fanboy” sites.

The biggest recent flair up was in the Spring of 2016 with Batman v Superman. Grace Randolph and John Campea got into a big back and forth over her conspiracy accusations that Marvel has critics on their payroll, and it got pretty nasty. I don’t follow much of anything from Randolph, but plenty of things I’ve read from her second hand tells me she is a ... piece of work. Anyway, I think that flare up over this imagined “conspiracy” is a good representation of the (imagined) issue. I’ll post one article that talked about it and a pretty interesting response video from Campea that it think is worth watching if you’re trying to understand this silliness.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2016/...cs-to-bad-mouth-their-box-office-competition/

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My wife hates violence and averts her eyes rather expertly to avoid it. She probably only saw about 1/2 of these movies. I also find the glorification of violence and ugliness rather disturbing in modern movies. Why have we gone so far to “the dark side”? When someone is shot and they fall, I know they are dead. Why do we have to see their head explode?
My wife is the same as yours but I have to admit, I LOVE IT but only in proper context. We all understand and accept Sci-Fi violence as it is generally presented in a more sterile fashion. For me, the more "real" the content gets, the more sensitive I am to how it depicts violence. The best examples might be documentaries. In this case you know it's real so it cannot be as easily accepted as entertainment. Even with on-screen violence "there's a time to laugh and a time to cry."

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Same here. I never understood how some people get a giddy pleasure seeing movies they feel are inferior do poorly. It is just weird to me.

I admit I like DC super heroes better than most Marvel characters, but that in no way indicates that I have to hate Marvel movies. In fact I love most of them as well(and many of the MArvel comic books).

Fanboyism is the most extreme with Microsoft vs. Sony in the video game market. It is absurd, almost cult like thinking.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have found that watching the extras that explain how the violent effects are done certainly helps and although I still don’t prefer them, they usually don’t bother me. I never understand the argument that says something like “thank goodness we are finally getting an R rated super hero movie” however.

I do not watch film of people really getting killed in documentaries etc. Once I made the terrible mistake of watching video of a real beheading that was in the news as being on line. Call me a wimp, but this horror stayed with me for a long time and I will never do that again!:wacko:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
When it comes to movie violence, you could argue that not showing the actual consequence of violence (PG-13 movies) are doing a disservice to real life violence by making it more palatable and easier to cheer on. No one cheers during the opening of Saving Private Ryan because it's very realistic. If that movie was PG-13 and made by a less talented director, I think it could have been more like "Hey, we're kicking Nazi ass. This is cool!" than trying to show a realistic look at the horrors of war. That being said, there's R rated movies that are certainly designed to make violence look cool.

Last edited:

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

There's actually a law that says a company can't buy favorable (or unfavorable) movie reviews?!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's not specific to movie reviews, but if a paper is advertising reviews as being honest and unbiased when they are in fact not, that's fraud.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
Apparently this is the work of the same alt-right group that claimed credit for tanking The Last Jedi score. I think crap like this is exactly what proves the audience score to be unreliable on RT. As we've discussed in the threads for Last Jedi, people who really like a movie won't necessarily take time to go leave an audience score, but people who really hate it will go out of their way to dump on it. And in the case of Black Panther, I'm sure that this all smells perfectly kosher and there's not any hint of racism going on here at all. [/sarcasm]

I'm sure that it will work too. They crushed TLJ. It's only going to make about 620m domestic and 1.35b worldwide.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
The "organized" effort by that suspect group is going to have minimal if any impact on Black Panther's numbers. Entire weekends of theaters are being bought out for opening weekend of that movie. In some cities trying to get an opening weekend ticket is already a struggle.

I bought my tickets weeks ago for an opening day IMAX screening and I know many that did the same. This is a movie that is going to transcend any simple attempt to sabotage it. It is getting universal praise. I have yet to hear any bad thing about it.

You can't compare this movie or it's build up to TLJ. The support behind each movie is VERY different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks