What's new

black matte material... (1 Viewer)

Patrick_L

Second Unit
i'm having trouble finding large enough sheets of black foam board for making the mattes. my rptv is 50" and this stuff only comes in 20" by 30". any suggestions??
------------------
Patrick

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
I'm currently making my mattes, as well. I had to look long and hard but found a store (Hobby Lobby) that had 32 x 40 black poster, black foam board, and black matte (framing matte). That's the largest I've seen.
------------------
http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Patrick,
I have a 61" RPTV and had the same problem.
I ended up buying 3 pieces of the largest black foam-core I could get at my local arts and crafts store and attached two pieces together with duct tape.
------------------
LuvLBX
The screen isn't half empty, it's half full.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I found some great material at my local Wal-Mart! It is Mactac that you would normally use to line your drawers or cupboards etc. But this is called "chalkboard" Mactac which is very, very black. It is easily cut and even has guidelines on the back. I cut out two strips and applied the sticky velcro strips on them and it has really worked great. I just roll them up when I am done and they store away nicely! It only costs about $8.00 and will fit any screen, since you can cut it to 30' long or so.
------------------
Scott A. McGillivray
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
"Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge?
Brace yourself like a man; I will question you,
and you shall answer me." - God
Link Removed

Patrick_L

Second Unit
wow! thanks for the quick responses! lots of great ideas, now to figure out which one to use! :)
------------------
Patrick

Mike A

Agent
At Aarron Brothers you can special order Framing Mattes at their largest size of 40 x 60 inches. It's a bit expensive though at about 20 bucks but I thought it was worth it to have it all in one piece and they will cut to my specs at no extra charge.
------------------
Mitsubishi 55807
Toshiba 5109
Yamaha RX-V496
DVD Collection

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
Vertical blinds are a great idea. How wide do they come?
For appropriate-sized foamboard, try this: http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Brows...eting+Supplies &bcDeptId=1302&bcDeptName=Presentation+Boards+%26+Easels&bcClassId=140934&bcClassName=Presentation+Boards
They also have them in cardboard in white, if you don't mind covering them (used to have black, don't know what happened.)
For mine I used pieces cut from the box from my TV (knew I saved it for a reason), covered in black felt. Worked great...

dave robinson

Auditioning
Hi Neil,
they are about 3" wide I have to for the top and two for the bottom.
The beauty is no matter what the aspect ratio is I just adjust them it's quick and painless.
they also have a bit of a wood grain look to them and when they're on my Pioneer 45" they look like they are part of the cabinet, I'm very pleased the way they turned out.
Dave

Mark Fontana

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Large art supply stores carry 1/2" thick black foamcore (black surface and black foam) in 4' x 8' sheets. I bought some to mask off a large screen for front projection. This stuff is super sturdy and looks great... the only catch is that it costs about $50 a sheet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks