What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Gregory Ratoff’s Black Magic offers Orson Welles a showy starring role as the 18th century mesmerist Cagliostro in a lavish production with a strong supporting cast which can now be seen in ClassicFlix’s recently restored Blu-ray release.

Black Magic (1949)

Released: 19 Aug 1949
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 105 min

Director: Gregory Ratoff, Orson Welles
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Romance

Cast: Orson Welles, Nancy Guild, Akim Tamiroff
Writer(s): Alexandre Dumas, Charles Bennett, Richard Schayer

Plot: Hypnotist uses his powers for revenge against King Louis XV's court.

IMDB rating: 6.4
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Other
Distributed By: ClassicFlix
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC...

Continue reading...

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
My copy was shipped on the release date of Jan 25th, it has been one of my favorite titles for a long time. And I have seen many a sloppy discs, versions so dark that they were almost a radio show, LOL!! The best edition I've yet found was the DVD by Hen's Tooth back in the early 2000s. From what I've seen so far, from the trailer, this edition is a much more elivated offering. But I will hold off judgment, once I've been able to view this Bluray release for my self.
Given the condition of the exsisting materials, I think a lttle leeway should be given here. Considering the uphill row that ClassicFliks had to hoe, I believe a little leniency is not out of order. Some films, like The Court Jester fro example, had amazing film and audio sources to work with. And the end results were a mind blower!!
That said, many other films are not so blessed and knowing the whole story and the guts it takes to take on a title, knowing what you do and don't have to work with should be in the mix as well!!
I'm looking forward to viewing it, hopefuly this week!! ;)

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Be sure to let us know what you think about the movie and the presentation.
Being very familure with this movie, and having owned several dvd incarnations of disapointing editions, I can tell you that this Classic Flicks Edition BRD surpasses my expectations. Is it perect, No...but again, considering the materials that currently exsist for this movie, I applaude them for a job well done.
I could see where the minor issues were, but truly it was noticable...the scenes in the final confrontation between the Hero and Caliostro had the most damage, and I believe that CF did the best they could. This is the cleanest and most balenced visually I have ever seen it.

And I agree that they should have put more into the bonus materails other than promoting thier other titles. There should have been bonus material on the movie it'self even a comparision study on the restoration work, giving a backstory for relevence on the project!!

As mentioned before, if you compair this edition to the youtube trash that is out there, you must agree with me that this CF BRD is as good as it gets!!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Agree with your assessment.

I have to say that I was a bit croggled when the disc spun up and started playing the trailer for Tomorrow Is Forever. I started to say to myself, "But they did this one already..." and then realized, "Oh, of course, it's another release in their catalog with Orson Welles".

Capt D McMars

Movie Explorer
Premium
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Agree with your assessment.

I have to say that I was a bit croggled when the disc spun up and started playing the trailer for Tomorrow Is Forever. I started to say to myself, "But they did this one already..." and then realized, "Oh, of course, it's another release in their catalog with Orson Welles".
Yeah that kind of surprised me too!! I should have been in the bonus materials, personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harleyquinn
Recent bookmarks