Black level test on Avia DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jimmy_Sgam, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Jimmy_Sgam

Jimmy_Sgam Auditioning

I just got my first rptv and am very impressed. After weeks of beating myself up over which one. I finally decided on a panasonic 47wx52. The decision was based on maximum size for my space and not be too overbearing. This fits perfectly. I bought the Avia disc and have a question about the black level test. When I did the basic calibrations about a week ago, the black side of the screen had two bars moving across it back and forth, just like in the explanation. I went to do it last night and there are no moving bars anymore regardless of how high or low I have the brightness turned up or down. My question is why? and how do I fix this? Is it the disc? Also, how do I access the service menu on this set? All replies are most appreciated. Thanks, Jimmy

2. Tom Kindel

Tom Kindel Auditioning

I can't tell you anything about getting into your service menu, but your video settings will drift considerably as your new set breaks in.

Several other threads have stated that a new RPTV's CRT's will drift about 20% in their first 100 hours of use. If you can't see the bars on the brightness test pattern, maybe you need to adjust your contrast too. Also make sure you do your adjustments in the room lighting you use most. My settings vary greatly between daytime and night time. The ambient light in my living room (don't have room for a dedicated theater room) can't be controlled all that well.

I just took delivery of a Toshiba 50HDX82 about 3 days ago and I've been doing a quick check with my S&V calibration disc periodically and can see the drift. I just do a quick tweak before I want to watch a movie (mostly for the practice) and enjoy. Maybe in a few months I'll be able to afford an ISF cal...although I'm pretty impressed with the picture as it is with my tweaks from the S&V disc.

Hope your problem isn't a serious one.