black level question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasL, Jul 2, 2001.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

On my new Toshiba 20AF41, the left black/right black Avia test pattern and the left black/right gray pattern both require the same setting for brightness. The left black/right white pattern requires brightness to be ticked up 4 notches (out of 64 total). This tells me that this set holds its black level very well across varying picture intensities. On the other hand, my older Toshiba 27A40 does not hold its black level well at all and its begun to annoy me on some dvds since nighttime dark scenes, even when the brightness is calibrated using the left black/right gray pattern, seem washed. They seem much crisper and more realistic on the 20AF41. According to Toshiba, the 27A40 has something called a Black Level Expander. My question is , do others who own an A series direct view Toshiba set also have varying black level and is this a problem caused by the design of the set or is it intentional...i.e. is it that Black Level Expander technology that Toshiba has put in which is mucking with the signal?
    In addition, I'd really like to know if the new {27,32}AF41 line of flat tubes will have good stable black level as well, so if anyone gets one, I'd be very interested in knowing. I may consider upgrading later in the year from the 27A40 to the newer flat tubes based on what the feedback from users is. Right now, the 20AF41 has some geometry problems in the lower right hand corner as well as a red push which the 27A40 has neither. It seems Toshiba can't fix one problem without introducing another for me [​IMG] I wish they'd make a direct view set that had the balanced color decoder and decent geometry of my 27A40 combined with the great black level, flat tube and other features of the 20AF41. I did peruse the manual for the 27/32/36AF41 and I was glad to see they've now included a tilt adjustment feature in the user menu.
    --tom

2. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

Tom, I just picked up a 32A41 and it also has trouble holding black at black.
    RobP