What's new

Black Hole- Repackaged??? (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The original release featured both Wide and Full versions on the same disc.
Recently Anchor Bay rereleased this in two different boxes, one for the Wide and a separate one for the Full.
I'm not sure what this accomplishes for AB, but just be sure to get the correct version...WIDE! :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So what's the difference between "WS" and "WS and Remastered" besides $10? See previous BB link to see what I'm talking about.

Does the "WS and Remastered" have more SE goodies?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm. I just went to Image's site and looked it up, and got this back:
So it seems the P&S separate SKU was cancelled. Yay! :)
Since the BB listings show the old VHS clamshell edition as "remastered", I would assume that the "WS and Remastered" DVD is the old one that actually has the P&S version on it as well (BB just neglected to list it). You see, when AB released that version of Black Hole in '99, they were touting that it was newly remastered, so that is why it could be listed that way for both VHS and DVD releases.
I picked up the VHS at the time, BTW...it was 2 months before I bought my first DVD player! It was the next-to-last VHS I bought (There's Something About Mary was the last one).
Image and BB agree that the list price of the new WS version is $19.98, and that the list price of the old version is $24.98. :eek:
BB has discounted the old one by $5 and the new one by $10.
From all accounts, it is the same transfer re-used, with no new supplements or anything (hence the term "repackaged"). So get the version that suits you. Cheaper is better, if you ask me! :D

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
According to amazon's site if you check the additional technical information on the WS/PS version it has a Widescreen Review Magazine section stating that it is not a anamorphic widescreen transfer ~ 2.30:1
Additional technical information on the new WS only version is listed as a anamorphic widescreen transfer ~ 2.35:1
MSRP's are listed as $24.98[Ws/Ps] & $14.98[Ws] respectively
bodymov:cool:'n

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info, Mike. I wasn't aware the new one was anamorphic now!

Maybe I should upgrade...

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, though I believe the WSR description on the first edition, I would double check amazon's details on the newer edition before you make a purchase, just to make sure.
bodymov:cool: 'n

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i wouldnt trust it to be 16x9 until someone puts it in a player and confirms it.

too many other dvd's say they are but arent anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks